Questions about the Bogner Ecstacy VS. the Bogner Uberschall

Dark Aardvark

Hello all . . . this is my very first post. I am a singer/songwriter/guitarist-type that records a great many local musicians in my home studio. I'm very interested in the Bogner amps, mostly due to the various times that I've heard a given artist and THAT SOUND . . . so I read up on what the sound was, and frequently it was a Bogner.

I want to give a list of the amps I'm currently using in the studio and would welcome any ideas on which of these two "Bogs" would be a more appropriate addition. The guy that turned me onto this site seemed to think that the Ecstacy was a more appropriate addition for what I'm doing, but I wanted some different takes on it. My current "collection" . .

1. 1994 Mesa Dual Rec (with a 2x12 Recto cab)
2. 2007 Orange Rocker 30
3. 2005 Mesa Lonestar Special
4. 2006 Vox AC-15 (w/Alnico Blue speaker)
5. 1965 Ampeg Gemini I (re-furbished . . . it's working great now)

My question is really based upon some of these super MEAN sounds I'm hearing . . . I feel like the Dual Rect is a pretty tough tone, but to my ears, it sounds nothing like that Uberschall monster . . . why wouldn't I want that? There's probably going to be times when the Uberschall sound is just too damn much for the track . . . the Dual Rect is really a nice sound and it's capable of plenty of aggression, but what I've heard from that Uber is far beyond that.

Am I wrong? The Ecstacy sounds beautiful as well, but it's more expensive as well. I just want to get "the right Bogner" because these things aren't cheap!! I've got lots of recording, drum and guitar gear, so I'm sort of "spread out" financially. Any and all opinions are welcome.

The Dark Aardvark

I forgot to mention how great it is that there is a website such as this where I can get the opinions of people that ACTUALLY OWN these types of amps. It feels very different when you're talking with sales people, even if they're really helpful. The D.A.

That is a tuff one. I have heard some heavy clips with the Ecstacy, but not quite Uberschall levels. I also agree that the Uber can push past Recto levels of agression. I guess it depends whether you want one of the best heavy tones ever or one of the most flexible amps ever? If you're really wanting to push beyond Recto levels of aggression, then the Uber will be it. I have an Uber and don't find it to be a one trick pony like many claim, but the Ecstacy from what I gather is definitely more flexible. So if you're happy enough with your heavy tones, then the Ecstacy will add a handful more tones to your palette.

This could be the kind of question that is answered once you're standing in front of it with the air moving around. I cannot imagine the concept of buying both of them, financially, at this time, but if this is the kind of decisions I'm being "forced to make", I must be living a pretty blessed life.

I had a 3 channel recto and i wasnt really a fan, I own a Uberschall and it is everything I was hoping the recto would have been.

Yeah it would definitely be easier to A/B both in front of you and make your decision for there. If that's not feesible then all you can do is make the best decision you can with the info you have.

I'm a huge Uber fan, but honestly I think the Ecstacy would be a fantastic studio amp. Great hard rock tones and great hot rodded marshall & plexi tones. That would be a great addition to what you have. So unless I was completly bothered with my heavy tones (which it sounds like you're not) and you do tons of heavier bands I'd go with an Ecstacy.

I have checked with Mesa and I am told that the Dual Rectifier we own is actually one of the first 500 they'd built . . . based upon the serial number. I called them last year to ask them how old it was and that's what they said. When they first started building these things, they apparently didn't have a computerized way of keeping up with the serial numbers, so he had to generalize for me, age-wise.

The reason I mention this is that I wonder if it would qualify as some sort of "collector's item" if I sold it in favor of the Uber? I am not an "archive" type of musician, I just want tools that do the job better. I would look into this but I have no idea who to ask. This seems as good as a forum as any other. Truth be told, I think I'd rather keep them both though . . . that Rec has been great to me since its' arrival.

I absolutely cannot wait to spend some time with these amps once I get the proper fundage together.

I don't care what anyone says, the Uberschall is Bogner's take on the Recto. Early Gen 1-2 Uber's are way darker than a Recto, with a grind in the midrange that a Recto lacks and sounds more hollow in the those frequencies. They make great studio amps and record well imo. Wasn't the biggest fan of them live, although others have had great success using them in that capacity.

Newer ones are brighter and less 3D sounding, but I haven't heard the latest revision that came out this year yet.

Since you already have a "grail" early Recto, you may want to consider an XTC so you have less tone overlap going on.

Dark Aardvark":2pfqklsf said:
I have checked with Mesa and I am told that the Dual Rectifier we own is actually one of the first 500 they'd built . . . based upon the serial number. I called them last year to ask them how old it was and that's what they said. When they first started building these things, they apparently didn't have a computerized way of keeping up with the serial numbers, so he had to generalize for me, age-wise.

I wouldn't sell that early Recto for an Uber personally. Uberschall has seen 4 revisions in the 9 years it's been in production, and are fairly widely available on the used market (except the latest revision that came out this year).

That early Recto would be a harder piece to replace in your studio imo.

If you want to sound like an Uberschall, you buy an Uberschall. If you want a versatile studio amp, you buy an XTC. It's that simple.

I would stick with the used market.

Both amps have retained roughly the same level of pricing in the used market. The recession took them down a little bit, but not very much.

If you buy used, you wouldn't lose money if you had to sell one amp to try another one. That way you can try them both and take your pick.

I am not financially prepared at this moment, but I am curious what you would be asking for it . . . I guess that goes along with the usual questions . . . how old is it? Why do you want to get rid of it? Doesn't this amp totally RULE?? You know, stuff like that.

I've been seeking out bands and artists that use that Uber and it is one hell of a sound, that much is clear.

-J

The reason I'm selling it is because I want a Soldano & can't afford buying it without selling something. I more prefer Diezel sound & as much as I like Bogner amps, I've just sold my 101b & now I'm putting my Uberschall up. For me Uberscall is more mild metal sound & Diezel is more aggressive. The latter is what I'm going for as of now. A lot of this is due to very powerful power amp section on Diezel amps.

As for the rest of your questions, refer to this thread. I'll be taking pics sometimes next week I hope, but it's in near mint condition. Never had a single problem with it, unless you call tube & fuse changes a problem.

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=45910

Damn it!!! I wish I was ready already. Perhaps you'll still have it when I am but you probably hope not! ha ha

Can you tell me what you sold the 101b for? (you can e-mail me personally if you'd prefer) I have been wondering if buying one from another player might be the way to go . . . I'm not in over my head, but every dollar does count.

-J

Dark Aardvark":qist60od said:

Wait, didn't you say yours was a '94 Recto? The first 500 and up were all build in '92...

I may have the year mixed up but I am sure that was what the man said. Perhaps I should call them again? I know that I bought it in 1994, so it has to be older than THAT anyway.

Do any of the Mesa reps post here? (I noticed that the Diezel amp designer contributes to this site) I've had the thing for quite awhile . . . I'd be happy to post the serial number on the forum here!! It would be great to know for sure. I don't think I'm selling it, it's a well loved piece of gear amongst the guys I work with . . . but still, it would be great to be sure of what I'm talking about!! :)

I am well on my way to my first Bogner Ecstacy though people . . . . I've been "cleaning house" and saving up for awhile now. I am ready to go!! There was a really cool purple one on Ebay that I MISSED!!! I was broke up about it for a day or so but I'm cool now.

Soon, I'll be a real man, with a real amp. ha ha ha ha

Hey Visual . . . if that's the way it works than the Mesa dude must have some other way to "count them" because my serial is "R-001555". If serial numbers are decided simply by "this is how many we've made so far" then the guy was only off by about A THOUSAND. He may have been mocking me!! Damn it.

Time for "Possibly Stupid Question Of The Day" I suppose . . . does that mean it's #1555? If it does, that's really just fine, but I have been misinformed. If that's the number (and I don't know why it wouldn't be) I'm allright with that, but it might be kinda embarrassing. It never occured to me that it was that simple.

Maybe the Mesa guy thought I was stupid for even asking . . . but truth be told, I was looking for the DATE that it was put together, just because I wanted to know.

Sigh.

Back