Questions concerning quilted maple

bgh

All,

My brother is a woodworker and wants to take on the task of building a custom quilted wood enclosure for one of my amps.

We sat and looked at a "ton" of pictures and I settled on quilted maple.

He is having some trouble locating the needed wood (in wide enough boards). What he has found so far does not have enough quilt on it. (Context: He lives in the Knoxville, TN area)

Is there anybody who could assist with:

(1) A good source for quilted maple.
(2) A question from him: Does anyone have any experience with how maple veneer works on a combo body? (He does not want to go that route, he is curious as to how it would hold up)

I appreciate your time and assistance.
Thanks in advance!

bgh":1h8i3t82 said:
All,

My brother is a woodworker and wants to take on the task of building a custom quilted wood enclosure for one of my amps.

We sat and looked at a "ton" of pictures and I settled on quilted maple.

He is having some trouble locating the needed wood (in wide enough boards). What he has found so far does not have enough quilt on it. (Context: He lives in the Knoxville, TN area)

Is there anybody who could assist with:

(1) A good source for quilted maple.
(2) A question from him: Does anyone have any experience with how maple veneer works on a combo body? (He does not want to go that route, he is curious as to how it would hold up)

I appreciate your time and assistance.
Thanks in advance!

mate that sounds like it will be a very heavy and expensive cabinet to make. Quilted maple is pretty rear in those kinds of widths and if you do find it it will be REALLY expensive. Personally I think maple as a cab would sound awful, even using pine brings a a heap of top end that can be really hard to "tame"

As far as veneer goes, as long is it is glued right (sandwiching it with another board and clamps is key) it will be fine as long as it is lacquered

The combo he is building it for is rather mid-rangy. We are counting on the maple being brighter. He has some connections for getting some discounts. He is "guesstimating" the wood to be about $400.

Back