Quick Rebel 30 head questions

medblues

Trying to reduce hiss on Channel 1 (only Ch. 1, Ch. 2 is very quiet), which tubes do I go after V1 and V3 ? I have the Head version.

Secondly, where is a good online source to buy tested low noise 12AX7s ?

Thanks in advance for your help.

I buy from thetibestore, or tubedepot, avoid jj tubes in the preamp in my opinion. Rebel 30 user over 4 years heavy use, no problems.

ramblin390":32w8j9ug said:
I buy from thetibestore, or tubedepot, avoid jj tubes in the preamp in my opinion. Rebel 30 user over 4 years heavy use, no problems.

Thank you Ramblin, any other Rebel 30 head users want to chime in ?

I just recently changed V1 from the stock Tung Sol to "Tung Sol V1", which is a selected tube for the V1 position. I really dig this tube sound-wise, although I could not tell much difference with regards to hiss.
I put a JJ ECC 803 in V3 (channel 1). I do like the grainy break-up it produces. YMMV.

Another question, since I myself am a tube noob: Is it safe to substitude the 12AX7 tubes (especially the V4 and P.I.) with 12AT7? I read good things about it, but I'm afraid that it will be a mismatch with regards to the amp original design.

Duotone":26nx8111 said:
I just recently changed V1 from the stock Tung Sol to "Tung Sol V1", which is a selected tube for the V1 position. I really dig this tube sound-wise, although I could not tell much difference with regards to hiss.
I put a JJ ECC 803 in V3 (channel 1). I do like the grainy break-up it produces. YMMV.

Another question, since I myself am a tube noob: Is it safe to substitude the 12AX7 tubes (especially the V4 and P.I.) with 12AT7? I read good things about it, but I'm afraid that it will be a mismatch with regards to the amp original design.

I think you would reach overdrive later and lose some overall loudness maybe but would not compromise anything else by changing the preamp 12AX7s with AT7s, I would not mess with the phase inverter because I don't know enough.

medblues":1ibqqk65 said:
Trying to reduce hiss on Channel 1 (only Ch. 1, Ch. 2 is very quiet), which tubes do I go after V1 and V3 ? I have the Head version.

Secondly, where is a good online source to buy tested low noise 12AX7s ?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Hey medblues, you say your Ch. 1 has a lot more hiss than Ch. 2? I just posted a thread
of my own with a couple issues with this amp, and the hiss on Ch. 1 is my first problem. Can you visit my thread, watch the video and let me know if the Ch. 1 hiss that I have is the same as yours? Thanks.

viewtopic.php?f=26&t=163506

My hiss is not as loud and does not have the buzz in it (high frequency white noise that you would hear from a tweeter for instance). Thanks for getting in touch with me. I haven't had a chance to do my preamp tube swaps yet.

Back