R Blackmore. I cant get my head around this.

ctoddrun

I've been playing for years. My theory is for shit, but I can generally grasp the idea of what is going on.

Blackmore makes my head hurt. I DIG this solo though and wonder... can anyone here tell me whats going on?

Is he playing different scales with each chord?

Is he soloing in some key that I cant discern because he is so... adept that he's bouncing everywhere too fast for my ear?

WTF is he doing?

Sounds Phrygian to me with some blues notes thrown in. Play a D major scale over the F# chord and you will hear the Phrygian tonality.

flat 5th's and triad sweeps. Watch clips of Blackmore playing this live and tell me if you EVER hear him play it the same way twice.

1meanplexi":386db9nr said:
flat 5th's and triad sweeps. Watch clips of Blackmore playing this live and tell me if you EVER hear him play it the same way twice.

THIS.

He's a bit of a mad scientist... his early work was more structured and sounded great. Then he branched out more into combining pentatonics with minor or other modes throwing in some flat notes and a lot of trem and half the time it leaves you wondering if what you just heard was cool or if it was total shit. The statement above is accurate though.. don't think he planned any of those patterns necessarily, he had a rough idea of the shape he wanted to go with and just winged it. A lot of his solos just sound like they are a crap shoot, let's see what comes out of it this time sort of thing. It is never played the same way twice.

i think watching it makes it more confusing, if you just listen it sounds to me like pentatonic plus a few other runs here and there. When you watch this guy play it he's ALL over the neck which makes it look crazy

Guy playing in the video did a decent job transcribing notes but what makes that solo stand out is how Blackmore played it with so much off the edge/tension, tone and vibrato/feel which next to impossible to recreate because Ritchie is a master at improvising and using this approach. Kids these days don't get it. the tune in in the Key of B min. Solo is mostly F# Phrygian based mixed with Scale and Chromatics.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KesW_pdZlxQ

i suggest listening to the original instead of a copy because IMO your missing a shitload of more important stuff.

70strathead":2htxm27r said:
Guy playing in the video did a decent job transcribing notes but what makes that solo stand out is how Blackmore played it with so much off the edge/tension, tone and vibrato/feel which next to impossible to recreate because Ritchie is a master at improvising and using this approach. Kids these days don't get it. the tune in in the Key of B min. Solo is mostly F# Phrygian based mixed with Scale and Chromatics.

i suggest listening to the original instead of a copy because IMO your missing a shitload of more important stuff.

"F# Blues Scale I meant mixed."

I'm not even gonna get into the
"How's & Why's"....
All I'm gonna say, Is that was Fantastic!!!
You've got Ritchie's Style down,
Impressive Job Man. :rock:

moltisanti":3eetvfd6 said:
i think watching it makes it more confusing, if you just listen it sounds to me like pentatonic plus a few other runs here and there. When you watch this guy play it he's ALL over the neck which makes it look crazy
This!

70strathead":x72ubzoo said:

Yes to everything mentioned in your post but this stands out. Phrasing, attack, aggression and many other things factor in to a unique style. Richie has one, most players do not. :no:

70strathead":2oryzjf0 said:

:rock:

What many have said, pretty much just wiggling around a Dorian or minor scale with some colors thrown in, the majority of that stuff sounds like pentatonic blues licks but resolving in unusual places, which is fine there are no rules, but many players like to stick with tried and true bends, turn-arounds, etc. Kind of reminds me of when I try to improvise in an unfamiliar scale, which is undoubtedly what was happening since he was a very improvisational soloist, which also shows how incredibly talented Lord was to be able to hear the mode Blackmore might have been in and instantly adjust the organ to fit, you can hear this on many recordings. I am a huge DP fan, I'd say he's more of a riff guy though, when I think of improv (rock) soloing Hendrix wrote the book and I'm not sure anyone has ever come close, he had the arrogance of Little Richard with the improvisational skills of Joe Pass and the presence of Hulk Hogan

DICKOLA":1ol0b1wn said:
Just amazing. Everyone has different opinions but RB is the man..

Don't get me wrong, I certainly respect RB as a phenomenal player, just a lot of his solos were just like this.

I get the whole "think outside the box" approach, but to me it doesn't sound very musical at times.

I'm in the graphic art field, and we know there are just certain colors that shouldn't be together. When used, there are a many that think it's edgy, but there are probably as many just think it's ugly.

Back