RACK DELAY SUGGESTION

blackie13

Good evening...

I just got a Yamaha spx900 to pair it with my TC G MAJOR but even though I ise a Rane SM26 mixer, I have sone difficulty getting the levels correctly, like the g major never gets to line level....(more like consumer level)

Anyway, it keeps falling apart(damm encoders) and I only use it as delay, so if I could get an upgrade, and a true line level device to use for a dry/wet rig with mixer..cannot get to eclipse money...so opinions on:

TC D-TWO - 200€
LEXICON MPX1 - 300€
ROCKTRON INTELLIFEX - 200€

Or anything else that I am missing...? I am located in Europe...so no 500€ PCM 80s here...

What kind of delay textures do you like?

If you like TC delays over say eventide type of delays, then I’d recommend the g major II over the D two since it’s a newer unit with updated DACs.

If you like lexicon delays then the MPX1 is a great unit you can’t go wrong with. I personally like lexicon reverbs.

If you like the rocktron delays then go black unit intellifex as apposed to the silver ones.

What kind of delay textures do you like?

If you like TC delays over say eventide type of delays, then I’d recommend the g major II over the D two since it’s a newer unit with updated DACs.

If you like lexicon delays then the MPX1 is a great unit you can’t go wrong with. I personally like lexicon reverbs.

If you like the rocktron delays then go black unit intellifex as apposed to the silver ones.
I am going for a "set and forget" setting...ala EVH or Joe Holmes...

TC delays are clener...? Lexicon grittier...?
I dont know...

I am going for a "set and forget" setting...ala EVH or Joe Holmes...

TC delays are clener...? Lexicon grittier...?
I dont know...

The g major II will have more set and forget settings in it that are based on various favourite artist sounds. An older vintage unit will require your own adjustments to get them to do what you want. I also recommend the g major II because there is a master output level control. You can also pad all patches up or down to match levels and you can see the level outputs as you’re playing.

The g major II will have more set and forget settings in it that are based on various favourite artist sounds. An older vintage unit will require your own adjustments to get them to do what you want. I also recommend the g major II because there is a master output level control. You can also pad all patches up or down to match levels and you can see the level outputs as you’re playing.

G major has the same interface including the master level that needs to be crancked to just hear the unit...

G major has the same interface including the master level that needs to be crancked to just hear the unit...
The g major II fixed a lot of things wrong with the g major including the inability to get to line level. Don’t believe me then please google it yourself. It’s also a much better made unit. You’ll get more for your money Vs a D-two which is outdated by today’s standards and doesn’t offer anything all that great delay wise or for patches.

Your budget also limits what can be recommended so keep that in mind here. I’d be recommending an eventide H90, eventide eclipse, or lexicon PCM81 if money allowed so there’s that to consider as well.

For rack delays, I'd go with what many consider still the best (short of a TC 2290)....

Roland SDE 3000

https://www.ebay.com/itm/3851448233...U6u5i2kuAc7lZiSVBxkfMiwsdZbd|tkp:BFBMkIKm5rZh
Well within your price range. I have an MPX 1, great unit for the money and very versatile...but the Roland is the better sounding unit. Easily on par with the tone/detail of a Lex PCM 80, which I owned a few yrs back. You can buy 2 for still less than half the price of a PCM; and get the true WDW stereo that EVH used.

Both the SD and MPX are better sounding units that the Intellifex; had one and used it for all my gigs the last 10 yrs of playing out. Cool unit but not on the same level as the Lex or Roland.

For rack delays, I'd go with what many consider still the best (short of a TC 2290)....

Roland SDE 3000

https://www.ebay.com/itm/3851448233...U6u5i2kuAc7lZiSVBxkfMiwsdZbd|tkp:BFBMkIKm5rZh
Well within your price range. I have an MPX 1, great unit for the money and very versatile...but the Roland is the better sounding unit. Easily on par with the tone/detail of a Lex PCM 80, which I owned a few yrs back. You can buy 2 for still less than half the price of a PCM; and get the true WDW stereo that EVH used.

Both the SD and MPX are better sounding units that the Intellifex; had one and used it for all my gigs the last 10 yrs of playing out. Cool unit but not on the same level as the Lex or Roland.
Totally forgot about the 3000 but they’re not easy to find. They aren’t on the same page as a 2290 or two lexicon PCM42s either but they are great units. I run a single PCM81 and get delays and reverb all in one unit.

Totally forgot about the 3000 but they’re not easy to find. They aren’t on the same page as a 2290 or two lexicon PCM42s either but they are great units. I run a single PCM81 and get delays and reverb all in one unit.
I'd agree about the 2290 but not the 41...many pros chose 2 3000s over 2 41s. Namely EVH, Vai....that said, I haven't played one but would love to try one out myself. Almost had one for 499 a few months ago...
I did feel the PCM 80 and SDE 3000 are almost identical in the detail/tonal quality....they each had a slightly different color so just preference really..
But the Intellifex is clearly in the back seat compared to any of the rack units we're talking about.

You can get the TC G Major II for as low as $300 I've used them in the past they are excellent, very programmable, I'm not good with high tech stuff and I figured it out.

Roland SDE3000 are very hard to get in Europe...I can find one or two in reverb every ear...
I wish I could get an Eventide Eclipse Davee...I have never seen a Korg DL8000 for sale...

If I could get the bdg to 500€, could I get something better...?

I love Rocktron stuff, but not sure I would reccomend the Intellifex for delay just because it is very limited. It has shorter delay times than many of the the other units and no tap tempo. I would recommend the Replifex instead because it has much longer delay times.

I used a TCE G-System for years, many effects, many routing options and I think the sound quality is excellent today. You can rack the brain and use the floor controller to control your rack via MIDI.

Look for IB versions with the final updated input buffers.

Good evening...

I just got a Yamaha spx900 to pair it with my TC G MAJOR but even though I ise a Rane SM26 mixer, I have sone difficulty getting the levels correctly, like the g major never gets to line level....(more like consumer level)

Anyway, it keeps falling apart(damm encoders) and I only use it as delay, so if I could get an upgrade, and a true line level device to use for a dry/wet rig with mixer..cannot get to eclipse money...so opinions on:

TC D-TWO - 200€
LEXICON MPX1 - 300€
ROCKTRON INTELLIFEX - 200€

Or anything else that I am missing...? I am located in Europe...so no 500€ PCM 80s here...
I have a SDE3000 to move dm for info

Roland SDE3000 are very hard to get in Europe...I can find one or two in reverb every ear...
I wish I could get an Eventide Eclipse Davee...I have never seen a Korg DL8000 for sale...

If I could get the bdg to 500€, could I get something better...?
Those eBay listings are mostly out of Japan, I've bought Greco LPs from them and they do ship anywhere....in fact it was like 3-4 days to my door.

Roland SDE 3000

I have and love one of these. Probably gonna put it up for sale soon. As much as I dig it, I just don't use it that much, preferring a pedal for ease of use. If I were to use a rack, the SDE 3000 is the delay I'd use for sure.

Back