Re-Fret prices????

mboogman

I just called the local guy, and he wanted $575 for a re-fret, and $750 for a stainless re-fret. Is this really how much a good re-fret job runs? :no:

Send it to Suhr. Its 375.00 for a stainless refrett and it doesn't get any better.

Called another luthier with a "because I know your boss" hookup, and he said probably around $100. That sounds a bit more reasonable.

Matt Eady is who I use in Athens Ga., and he charges under 300.00 for a refret. Matt worked for Gibson Custom Shop and Benedetto guitars and does great work.

I had my '73 Les Paul Custom Refreted and it was $375 as I remember. It would have been less if the guitar had no binding.

I was very happy with the result, the luthier did a great job.

Things that will drastically change the price:
- binding
- stainless
- If I remember correctly, most luthiers will charge a little more for maple than rosewood, but I don't remember why

The $250-$300 range sounds about right.

I paid $275 to re-fret a Les Paul Custom at the Music Zoo. The frets were finished nicely but the guy did hack my binding a bit.

i just sent a guitar to philtone

300 for standard refret
60 for stainless
30 for binding.
60 for new bone nut

this was for a les paul.

A few years back, my guy charged me $350 for my 7-string. He's been doing my stuff since the 80's. Back then it costed $150! :doh:

I paid $350 which I think is a little on the high end but he did a really nice job. $250-300 is probably about right. A little more for stainless. You don't want a refret by "some guy" who's going to give you a "deal" :scared:

i would see if any of your luthier's in the area have a plek machine. It doesnt get any better than that. Mike Lull in bellevue Wa did my esp eclipes and will be doing my charvel when i get around to it. The plek can cut you a new nut if you need it as well.

mniel8195":2bbm3zsl said:
i would see if any of your luthier's in the area have a plek machine. It doesnt get any better than that. Mike Lull in bellevue Wa did my esp eclipes and will be doing my charvel when i get around to it. The plek can cut you a new nut if you need it as well.

Will have to check him out. I'm pretty sure my DC200 could use it.

mboogman":2nf7hua6 said:
I just called the local guy, and he wanted $575 for a re-fret, and $750 for a stainless re-fret. Is this really how much a good re-fret job runs? :no:

That sounds as assinine as something Peekamoose would say. I am pretty sure the Gibson custom shop would do it cheaper on a Les Paul than that. You could always check with the maker, but I would also check with the Plek recommendation and go from there.

Back