Reactive load IR w/d/w

Purpleibby

Ok, really gonna geek out here but I'm wondering if anyone's tried using some powered full range cabs and a reactive load ir(or similar) to drive your wet/stereo sound, while having your head/cab for dry center.

Basically using an ir to drive the wet signals off to a couple of full range powered speakers and keeping your head/cab dry. There'd have to be some choosing the right ir and tweaking...or maybe do one of my own cab. Either way...

Anyone tried it or forsee any issues?

I had a buddy who did something like this with a Palmer. He'd go into his pedalboard straight to the front of his Plexi (no loop), into the PDI and then through to his 4x12. Then he'd send one of the line outs to the board, then 2 more through to a Lexicon and a couple TC Delays and then those out to the board as well. Then a 57 on the cab, so the sound guy got 2 dry and then Wet L / Wet R for the mix.

He'd then just monitor off the wedges but had the real amp behind him breathing fire for stage tone.

It was a pretty sweet rig. I can only imagine it would sound better with an IR, I've never cared for how the Palmers sound.

Thanks for commenting, yeah I don't like the Palmers either. I have a really nice pair of ISP VMAX 12XLs....they're like brand new, just sitting there. I figured just put a Suhr Reactive Load IR between my 4x12/BE100(using the thru on the Suhr) and send an IR to drive my effect rack then out to the powered speakers....that's what I'm thinking. Man again thanks, any comments welcome.

Last edited:
Landau did something similar i've seen in a few pics except he used a mic pre/mic the dry cab and sent it the effects out to some powered PA speakers....Latency on the Suhr RLIR is only 1.2ms so I'm thinking that wouldn't be any problem I suppose.

So I'm still geeking out about this....my Dry center 4x12 IS a Suhr/CAA 4x12 with scums(M75)....Pretty sure a Suhr 4x12 with greenbacks are a stock IRs in the Reactive Load IR. Here are the speakers just sitting there under my synth rack.

I guess I'll make this thread about trying this.

Friedman BE100 speaker output to Suhr RLIR In, then the RLIR thru to the dry CAA 4x12, then use the CAA 4x12/greenback IR to feed my effects rack....stereo line out of the rack to these two powered speakers(ISP VMAX 12XL) which are flat full range and tons of wattage.

IMG_1263.JPG

Did you plug it in at let it rip? I think it will sound really good.

I've been geeking out on my rack too. I had a sucessful experiment with a cheap 8" full range speaker on bass. On guitar it was ok.

cool rig!
give’r a go! i plan to dig in with my rack rig this weekend and experiment with routing and wdw fun!

i’ve found that the differences in sound between frfr speakers can be beyond radical, and cab emulations/ir’s almost have to be custom tailored to the specific speaker you choose to use.

went through it with axe fx and a myriad of frfr speakers. a 3-way $5k turbosound speaker didn’t sound or feel as good as an EV SXA-100 floor wedge i got for $100 at a pawn shop. also used a QSC-K12, Mackie studio monitors, and eventually settled on a Tech 21 power engine retrofitted with a scumback speaker as my other wet cab. It did not reproduce the full frequency range like the others but it was musical and FELT like a guitar speaker should. and the fact that it was not a matching pair of wet speakers didn’t bother me at all.

Did you plug it in at let it rip? I think it will sound really good.

I've been geeking out on my rack too. I had a sucessful experiment with a cheap 8" full range speaker on bass. On guitar it was ok.
Thanks, appreciate that. I figure the box would solve a bunch of problems anyway! Very cool, rack on man!
cool rig!
give’r a go! i plan to dig in with my rack rig this weekend and experiment with routing and wdw fun!

i’ve found that the differences in sound between frfr speakers can be beyond radical, and cab emulations/ir’s almost have to be custom tailored to the specific speaker you choose to use.

went through it with axe fx and a myriad of frfr speakers. a 3-way $5k turbosound speaker didn’t sound or feel as good as an EV SXA-100 floor wedge i got for $100 at a pawn shop. also used a QSC-K12, Mackie studio monitors, and eventually settled on a Tech 21 power engine retrofitted with a scumback speaker as my other wet cab. It did not reproduce the full frequency range like the others but it was musical and FELT like a guitar speaker should. and the fact that it was not a matching pair of wet speakers didn’t bother me at all.
Thanks! Yeah it's taking a chance....I hope the suhr box with it's reactive curve being like a greenback and using basically the same cab as the dry center would be good enough just for wets and would sound good, you're right there wouldn't be any tweakability in the Suhr...just different IRs....They are very nice powered speakers, more than enough muscle to keep up with the Friedman/CAA 4x12

I'm tinkering too. I'm moving that Eclipse above into the guitar rack and replacing it with the MPX-1 in my guitar rack. So the guitar rack will have 2x Eclipses and the RSP-550!! Thanks so much for sharing your experience, I love this shit!!😄
🤘

cool rig!

Added, I might add a small 6 channel mixer(table top type, my rack is full...like an Allen and Heath Zed-6) for the setup for summing all rack effects outputs with the switchblade will also give me some tone shaping for the wet sounds. Pretty affordable and should do the trick.

Giving it a try gents, rig reconfig'd!
IMG_7180.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_7181.JPG
    IMG_7181.JPG
    2.6 MB · Views: 25
  • IMG_7182.JPG
    IMG_7182.JPG
    5.1 MB · Views: 23
Back