Rebel 30 Big Noise Problem

kepisepo

I bought a rebel 30 head about a year ago off Craigslist and I cant seem to find anyone else that has had the same problem as me.

A couple of months ago, I'd be playing and the amp would suddenly make an extremely loud hiss/buzz/screaming sound that you could probably hear down the block. I would turn it off and on again and the problem would go away. This continued to happen randomly while playing maybe once every session.

Now, the amp does nothing but this noise, even without anything plugged into the input, and even when volume is turned all the way down. I'd imagine that it is about as loud as this thing can make, and I would describe the sound as pure electrical tube chaos.
Kind of like: SHDGJSHSDFSFDSHH.

I have double checked everything I can think of:

- Checked tube pin connection
- Checked (tapped with a pencil) for microphonic tubes
- Checked Speaker Cable and correct Ohms for cabinet

Has anyone ever heard of anything like this?

I thought I'd try here before I bring it in to a shop.

Filter capacitor most likely , open her up and look for a cap puffed out on the ends .
The cap has a little cut in the ends to allow swelling to show a bad cap !
Make sure no hair or steel wool ect is on the tube sockets or boards causing a short !

Plug in and out your jacks - FX loop send return ,Input , !

Do not beat on it like some folks when there is a problem.

I have a 1950s stromberg/carlson AU-33 that made that loud noise and my room mate was beating on it to stop that loud 60 cycle blast, it must be a filter cap entermittant failure or bad solder joint but that thing is hand soldered with heavy amounts done well !

I had to tube test every tube after his hammering jez never do that !

Thats like a cave man working on a hard drive with a pipe wrench !

The send and return jacks can do some weirdness so plug in and out to get the jacks working correctly or clean properly can help.
My R30 head was amplifying my touching at the front panel , I lightly tapped the control panel and I knew something was crazy.

One of my send or return plugs were not in all the way and my re-inserting it fixed it !

I have a Reb 30. At one point it started to make this gawd awful sound almost like paper tearing only really loud. Would do it, then not for a while final all the time. It was the El84s. Taping on them didn't do anything. I opened up the back and could watched them flare, get bright then dim, to match the cycle of the sound. replaced them and been good since.

Duff

Back