Recommend me a Lunch Box amp

CharFace

I'm looking for a lunch box amp that will give me a nice hot-rodded '80's metal Marshall roar without needing a boost or any other fx. Just a simple guitar-cable-amp-BOOM! type thing.

Mainly '80's metal/punk/E-standard tuning...

I do not gig anymore. This will be used for an audience of myself in my home office through an Avatar 2x12 Vintage with Greenbacks...

New or used, either is good. Don't really wanna go over $1500.00

GO!

The Friedman JJ Jr is getting a shit-ton of love and the clips sound very very good. It's right at your price point I believe.

JJ Jr or Wildwood Edition Pink Taco. I've played the JJ Jr and it's great. I actually preferred the WWPT over all other lunchboxes that I've owned. At the time I had it, it was sitting right next to my BE100 halfstack. The little Taco could go head to head with the BE100 for rock tones. It was a BEAST. No boost needed. The JJ Jr will get you those tones as well (though a little more fizzy), with the addition of a Vox-style clean channel. I've owned the H&K Grandmeister, Egnater Tweaker, and other lunchboxes. I'm hearing good things about the PRS MT15, but haven't tried one. I would be surprised if it had the quality of tone of the Friedmans, but then again... it's a lot cheaper.

Sleeper budget pick: Ceriatone Son of Yeti. I really want to try one of these. Cheap and the clips sound good.

JJ Jr. And Soldano Hot Rod 25 are the best two I've owned and both should do what you want and more. Soldano is probably out of your stated budget though.

Lots of love for the JJ JR. here! I'll need to check out some clips!

I've noticed a 5150 iii 50W in the classifieds here. Any opinions on this as a bedroom amp? Seems a little excessive?

The blue channel on my 5150 LBX 1 and on my old LBX 2 did a decent enough Marshall impression for me. The LBX 1 sounds better at bedroom volumes, though.

Rex Rocker":3tskzlfc said:
The blue channel on my 5150 LBX 1 and on my old LBX 2 did a decent enough Marshall impression for me. The LBX 1 sounds better at bedroom volumes, though.

I've listened to the LBX 2 and I like what I hear. Seems like an ultra-cheap set-and-forget amp. I had a 5153 100-watt for a while and it was just the right blend of British and American for me. Just waaaaay too much for casually rockin' a small room :LOL: :LOL:

braintheory":335gn8f5 said:
I’d say the mini Jubilee for sure. Hands down my favorite of those smaller amps

Enough gain on-board to make me smile without an OD up front? I've had several DSL's, and while I did like them, I always needed to add something to get what I was after...

I had a EVH 5153 50 6L6 for a short time. Not a bad amp but I much preferred the previous two I mentioned. The EVH sounded kinda hifi for lack of a better term. The feel on the JJ Jr. was great. The feel on one of the three Hot Rod 25's I had was incredible. Maybe the best sounding and feeling amp I have played ever.

Another I haven't tried but would love to is the Krank 1980 Jr. I had the big 1980 a few years ago and it was really good. The 1980 Jr. uses 6550 or EL34's iirc. That is a promising start.

Boss Katana 100w head. I owned mine for six months before I realized it had an internal speaker. I use it as a practice amp at home and a backup head for gigs. $350 and 20 lbs. Can't beat it.

CharFace":3e1xbfqw said:
Rex Rocker":3e1xbfqw said:

I've listened to the LBX 2 and I like what I hear. Seems like an ultra-cheap set-and-forget amp. I had a 5153 100-watt for a while and it was just the right blend of British and American for me. Just waaaaay too much for casually rockin' a small room :LOL: :LOL:
Well, the Marshall-y blue channel on the LBX 2 does have more gain than the blue channel on the LBX 1. Same kinda EQ profile and core voicing, but if you don't want to use a boost (or very hot pickups), you might dig the LBX 2 better.

Then again, how loud will you be playing? For some reason, the LBX 2 sounds pretty fizzy up until you get it to kinda loud TV levels (which isn't that unreasonable, TBH). The LBX 1 sounds smooth throughout the whole taper of the volume pot.

paulyc":1b7jamgp said:
Marshall DSL 15. Great amp for low cash.

They lose their bottom end really fast.

The PRS MT15 is a solid option too, but more Mesa than Marshall IMO.

I can can say that my Splawn holds the bottom end up better than most.

Back