Recommend me an Amp!

Jaek-Chi

Fairly new to the forum, so firstly, hey hey all y'all :)

I'm a bit of a one trick pony, i play very few cleans, and zero old school rock stuff. I'm looking for the (or should i say MY) ultimate high gain tone. I'm hoping with the explanation of tone i'm chasing people can give me some good recommendations as i'm sick of wasting money buying amps and trying to sell them to fund the next. I feel as though i'm pretty close to getting my sound, but want some other's opinions as i've read many great opinions and am sure you can all help.

The tone i'm chasing:
I play a lot of death metal, melodic death metal, technical death metal, even through to some deathcore, metalcore, nu-metal etc. All the amps i hear seem to have way too much bottom end and a loose, wide tone. I'm after an articulate, sharp, focussed tone. I like a really crunchy, gain tone. I've used many amps - 6505's, randalls (RH300G3, Satan), Splawn nitro, Laney GH100L, ENGL Fireball, Blackstars, MI Megalith Beta, Dual Recs etc. And nothing has really done it for me. I liked the 6505's and the Randall Satan, but not nearly enough. In all honesty the Fireball has by far my favourite tone. It does lack the overall power of say the 6505's, or the Megalith, but i'm happy to sacrifice a bit of that if i'm getting a sharper, crunchier (i'm sure people would say older sort of metal) sound. I've just bought an ENGL savage which is on it's way, and i am confident this will give me the closest of any amp i've played so far. I've read everything under the sun (as not to have to write a big thread like this asking for opinions, but i'm tired of losing heaps of money).

Some riffs/songs i like the tone of:
There are 2 riffs/songs that stand out to me to have crushing tone, and to me crushing is not just boomy and bassy, its more about the sharpness and attack you feel when you crank it and feel the tone punch you in the chest.
1. Carnal Forge - I Smell Like Death
As soon as this song starts, i instantly think about the tone. Now i would like a little more overall bottom end, but this is the kind of crunch and tone that does it for me.
2. Animals As Leaders - CAFO
at about 2:20, everything stops bar the guitaring, playing some amazing open chords. It has so much feel in it, and sounds amazing in my opinion.

Amps that i'm considering:
As previously said i have an ENGL savage on the way which gives me confidence. Hopefully this will do me the trick, but i'm also keeping the following in mind:
Rivera Knucklehead
VHT/Fryette Pitbull UL
Earforce Two (know very little about these)
Driftwood Purple Nightmare

Amps i've considered but think wont be suitable:
Bogner Uberschall
Diezel VH4/Herbet/Hagen etc
ENGL Invader

My other Gear:
I am currently using the following as my main setup (what i play with most)
ESP MH1000NT, with a BKP Alnico Warpig in the bridge
Vader 4x12 w/ Factory Eminence Legend Speakers
ISP Noise Decimator
Maxon OD808X Tube Screamer

Any opinions would be absolutely great. I'd also like to add, i've never got too much into the Marshall's. Played one or two briefly but certainly not enough to totally write them off. The other thing is, i live in Western Australia... Unfortunately, you don't find much else apart from Marshall/Fender/Randall/Laney/Peavey etc, so i can't really just walk into a shop and try something out.

Thanks in advance fellow Rig-Talkers!

Jake

I've come to the conclusion that my favorite amps have one thing in common...killer power sections. Do they get better louder? Vintage Marshalls, Soldano, VHT/Fryette, Mesa, Diezel, and many others fit the bill. Then, can you put a pedal or two in front to get the tone you like? I'm not sure about the bands you listed but if you start with a killer power section then it gets easier to mold your sound IMO. I've been enjoying a Mesa Mark 2C+ slaved into a Strategy 400 with effects in between for a pure wet/dry tone. Maybe a killer power amp with an engl preamp? Or some other preamp like a Mako, Triaxis or JMP1? One thing I've noticed is that many metal bands play live with 5153 100w heads...maybe one of those? Good luck!

Thanks mate, appreciate the opinion :) I'll look into it. The EVH 5150 III's are definitely something i've been keen to look into, haven't played one as yet.

Sounds like you've played a lot of American & German voiced amps and not found what you're after.
Maybe the Orange Rockerverb or something?

The Knucklehead Reverb is one seriously angry amp with a very direct response, but another thing to add is that it might be your cab and/or speakers that are the problem if you´ve used all those amps with that same cab.

Dave L":14cdi7by said:
The Knucklehead Reverb is one seriously angry amp with a very direct response, but another thing to add is that it might be your cab and/or speakers that are the problem if you´ve used all those amps with that same cab.

I've used these with cabs with a combination of Celestion GT's, V30's and Eminence legends. So i don't imagine its the speakers :)

Well today i was thinking about whose tone i liked.... Funnily enough the first 2 bands that came to mind were Nile (recent album or two are a little bit thin), and Arch Enemy... And i'm preeeeetty sure Arch Enemy use marshalls, or at least have. And Nile definitely do.

*Wait's for 'Go try a Marshall then...." haha

In all honesty i like a bit of a unique amp as well :) i'm terribly materialistic, i like having the best. But at the end of the day if i got my favourite tones out of a JCM2000 or a JVH410/JS, i'd certainly go with what sounded best to me.

The Pitbull is always a great call. One of my friend has an original one. That thing slays.
Give the 5153 a shot if you can play one in a store. I love the blue channel, boosted with the Maxon. Super tight, crunchy tone. Hopefully it's along the lines of what you're looking for.

Cheers! And welcome to the board!

Reflux":2h41d49c said:
The Pitbull is always a great call. One of my friend has an original one. That thing slays.
Give the 5153 a shot if you can play one in a store. I love the blue channel, boosted with the Maxon. Super tight, crunchy tone. Hopefully it's along the lines of what you're looking for.

Cheers! And welcome to the board!

Thanks mate, appreciate it :)

Would love to try a Pitbull, but not many around... Is there a big difference between the UL's and the CL's?

Definitely will try and give the 5150 a go :)

What fireball did you use? The 60 watt or 100 watt?

The 100 is a monster beast for sure.
Some of the best metal tones I have owned.

A few thoughts:

1). What gear was used to record those riffs you like? Seems like a good place to start.

2). Maybe think about getting a 4x12 loaded with Celestions, probably either G12Ms or V30s to start with. You mention wanting that crunchy type of tone, and Celestions excel at that. Eminence speakers just aren't the same.

3) Definitely try to play a Fryette Pittbull and Deliverance. Incredible high gain amps.

I listened to Carnal Forge I smell like death, and could get that sound with my EVH 5150III 100 watt through Chinese v30 and evh speaker mix cab. But I was on the blue channel and used a ZW MXR overdrive, and a sonic maximizer in the loop.

Mailman1971":hxdorzos said:

60w mate, i still have it. Definitely has my favourite tone of any i've had.

Jaek-Chi":mr058sm2 said:
Mailman1971":mr058sm2 said:

Oh man.....you need to check out a 100 watt. Totally different animal then the 60. It really kills. :rock:

The EVH 5150 is a great tight amp and waaaay better sounding than a fireball imho. Of course it's a matter of taste:)
I consider the Driftwood purple nightmare as a better an more 3d sounding 5153 with more low and and less high mids fizz. Although it has more low end to it its equally tight... Killer amp!

Miniman":3l9kcm2v said:
The EVH 5150 is a great tight amp and waaaay better sounding than a fireball imho. Of course it's a matter of taste:)
I consider the Driftwood purple nightmare as a better an more 3d sounding 5153 with more low and and less high mids fizz. Although it has more low end to it its equally tight... Killer amp!

Thanks Miniman. I don't want a really thin tone, i still want a solid bottom end, but i want it to be tight and punchy. Definitely one of the amps i've looked into as close as i can. Only wish i could play one somewhere haha.

Mailman1971":3cdsxkhb said:
Jaek-Chi":3cdsxkhb said:
Mailman1971":3cdsxkhb said:

Oh man.....you need to check out a 100 watt. Totally different animal then the 60. It really kills. :rock:

Never really thought about checking out a 100w, didn't assume the difference would be enough to warrant checking out. Thanks man :)

Back