Recommend me some power tubes to play with! :)

bduersch

I've been messing around the the Egnater & Randall modular amps now for a couple of years and haven't ventured beyond the more common 6L6's and EL34's. So I earned a little cash for a studio project this weekend and was thinking about buying a few sets of tubes I can experiment with. Maybe some 5881's or 6V6's or even EL84's with Yellowjackets.

So the question is...

If you could recommend any pair of power tubes for a 50-watter, what would you recommend and why?

--B

Tung Sol 5881's.......versatility and tone.

JJ 6V6's......use only JJ's because they handle the higher plate voltage. Knocks down the power to like 22 and 5 watts. Very cool and they sound killer too!

I am with Kevin on this...love the 6V6's and my go to are Tung 5881.
With the MOD 100 I load 34's and 6V6's sounds killer!

Jeff

Who is a good manufacturer to go with on the jj6v6's?

Where is the best place to order them from?

Thanks
Angelo

Sounds like I definitely need to check out the JJ 6V6's and TS 5881's.

I'm a big fan of the Winged C 6L6's myself... pretty sure that's what I've currently got in my RM50. I don't have as strong of a preference for EL34's... tend to rotate between EH's, JJ's, and Winged C's.

--B

5881 is like the best of both worlds of 6L6 and EL34 IMO. In reality, its very close to a 6L6, but I dont find it as cold as regular 6L6s.

I might try the 6V6, but I like the power and clarity I get from the 5881s.

blumuz123":19739 said:
I havent recieved my Mod50 yet.

How many jj6v6 tubes do I need?

Thanks
Angelo

Just need 2.

As always, these are some favorites, but really I've tried a bunch of different tubes and they all sound great. I'm loving Winged C EL34's and JJ E34L's too. It's just so much fun and so easy to change them out and bias the amp.

Also, Doug at dougstubes.com is very good as well and I have been happy with his service and products. Bob at eurotubes is good as well for the JJ stuff. Mike at kcanostubes.com is good especially for NOS stuff.

That's some of what makes this amp so damn fun!!

I've got JJ6V6s which I've used, and sound amazing in the MOD50.

Currently, I've got some THD Yellow Jacket Triodes (half power EL84 adapters with a much smoother grid). They sound much better than the normal YJ adapters—less harsh, more even. They sound "bigger" even with less wattage. Can't recommend them highly enough! And you don't need to bias them, due to the Yellow Jacket's design, so you can keep your amp biased for your 6V6s (or whatever you prefer) and then just swap in the YJ Triodes when you want.

Orren

Sweet... just got a box of tubes... picked up a pair of JJ 6V6's and Tung-Sol 5881's to try out.

Quick ?... what do you bias the 6V6's at? They're not listed in my manual, but all the other tubes are.

I've been kicking the Yellowjackets around as well... not so much for my RM50 but was thinking about putting them in one or both sides of my VHT 2/50/2 to drop the power for recording sessions.

--B

Hey B,

The proper bias range for the 6V6 is .18 to .26

I am using a pair at .22 and they are smoking!!!!!! Re-discovered them by accident. I have been a huge fan of the TS 5881 and often spout off about how good they are (and they are!). I had a tube failure and popped my JJ's in there.

WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

6V6 tubes really rock in this thing. I honestly think I'm getting better tones now. God I love this amp.

bduersch":1bd69 said:
Sweet... just got a box of tubes... picked up a pair of JJ 6V6's and Tung-Sol 5881's to try out.

Quick ?... what do you bias the 6V6's at? They're not listed in my manual, but all the other tubes are.

I've been kicking the Yellowjackets around as well... not so much for my RM50 but was thinking about putting them in one or both sides of my VHT 2/50/2 to drop the power for recording sessions.

--B
The YJS's sound killer as with alot of tube combos for the MOD,sick,sick amp.I have a set of the YJ's if you would like to try them,they are worth the try :D

jmgman69":ad098 said:
blumuz123":ad098 said:
Where can I buy the YJ adapters from? :dunno:

Thanks
Angelo
I bought them from the Tubestore.

Actually, I think Musicians Friend online now sells them, including the YJ Triodes. You can also call THD Electronics directly. Or check out their new website, that lets you order, but sends the order directly to a local dealer.

Orren

3 Mile Stone":91e41 said:
God I love this amp.

Exactly the way I feel as well!!

I think I set my 6V6's up around .20 or so. They do sound really good too.

Good thing I have my class build amp as I used it on the gig this past Friday and it rocked the house. I've got KT77's in that one at the moment.

Buckeyedog":35979 said:
3 Mile Stone":35979 said:
God I love this amp.
Good thing I have my class build amp as I used it on the gig this past Friday and it rocked the house. I've got KT77's in that one at the moment.

How are the KT77's? I just retubed my 2/50/2 with JJEL34L's and almost went for the KT's.

Scott

Back