recording solo's.... Double tracking them?

trey85stang

Any of you double track your solo's? I decided to give it a try and I think they sound bad ass... I generally through some verb, and delay on my single takes... but doubled I don't think it is needed at all.

I personally don't like it. It usually ends up sounding hollow if you put them both center, and if you pan them I don't like that either. It's just a preference - I don't like hearing it on major recordings either.

I might post up some clips this weekend. The only clip I have right now is of the doubled solo and its kind of sloppy.. :)

I dont think i can tell if a solo has been double tracked on a cd? :confused:

Who in the metal world double tracked solo's? what albums?

I heard Rand Rhoades tripple tracked his solo's ... damn :rock:

I double track if the solo calls for it. I have a solo that I divided into 3 sections and tracked each separately, then double tracked the 2nd and 3rd parts and threw delay on the doubled track. It was kinda of a dry/wet sort of thing. I did that so that each section could spill into the next, and the delay was set to mostly wet on the doubled tracks. Gets a cool/weird sound.

I decided to do it with a slow ballad style solo, which was easily doubled. For this track I really liked it. Im not the tightest guitar player in th4 world so faster stuff I wouldnt be able to double even if I wanted to.. but for this I thought it sounded great.

trey85stang":2npp9gg0 said:
I decided to do it with a slow ballad style solo, which was easily doubled. For this track I really liked it. Im not the tightest guitar player in th4 world so faster stuff I wouldnt be able to double even if I wanted to.. but for this I thought it sounded great.

For faster stuff, you can make a copy of the track, and (if working in Pro Tools for example) move it just a few samples/milliseconds off from the first and add a very light detune effect. Not 100% the same, but it'll get you close to the same effect without sounding completely chorusy.

I'm not a big fan of doubled solos. I'd much rather play a harmony (or maybe doubled in a different octave), but I don't do that very often either.

i could see doubling a solo when its more rhythmic like standard eighth/sixteenth notes. But if its taking on a more vocal quality and is more of a 3 against 2 or something then i prefer it to be alone.

with quite a few takes, I often tuck the reverb only version of a different take under the chosen take

I've done it a couple times. Done well, I think it sounds great! The track "Here We Go" on my website was double tracked with wah.

LedZep77":2kfqggop said:
I believe Dime double-tracked his solos

Yeah, some of them. You can really tell that part of the "Floods" solo is double tracked. I think Randy Rhoads did it alot too.

I think it's cool if done occasionally.

Back