Rectos now cooler than Diezels?

Pre-95 exist!?!
This…

View attachment 305157You're not bringing the dirty thing into my renovated amp cave!

IMG_3437.jpeg

I miss my Rev G, which I stupidly sold for a stinky ass Badlamer. Was it a bit spongey? Yes. Did it always need a boost? Also yes. Needed your ears to bleed to get that good tone? Yes. Did it sound brutal as hell once you had good tubes and a OD808 in front? Also yes.

Mine had Mike B's signature in it and I can't help but wonder if that's why mine sounded better than about a dozen others I compared it to. If I manage to get it back from a buddy, I think I'll do that Pre-500 mod myself. The dudes who are buying Rev F's, D's, C's and having them modded are a little out of their minds imho. Just get a common Rev G or any regular rectifier and mod it.

A buddy of mine had a Herbert, VH4, VHX and maybe another Diezel I'm forgetting. They sounded cool, but a little unsaturated with gain? I felt like I needed to dig in and pick harder. Didn't like the response I felt from those amps.

299298939_5307334819321703_915853256262055846_n.jpg

PXL_20220207_020617536.jpg

Diezels are way more common in Europe though. The reverse for Boogies.
I love my wizards and stuff but man I feel like every one neds one Diezel flavor . I do think more time is needed to set up say a Herbert . People hear mine and like that right as fuck. With noisegate and boost it can be a tight chunk monster . Many people make them sound bloated but it can be opposite

I would agree with the OP. When I purchased my first Recto in 1999 my guitar playing friends looked at me like I was some sort of pariah. Today, folks stress over what revision etc. and pay top dollar for that "original" Orange channel :)

I more recently had a Rev G to see if I just missed something the first 10 times I had one, since the hype on them lately is through the roof. They are cool amps, but I don't really get it when there are others that do that boosted sound even better and they cost about as much as a Recto does now. They used to be cool before cause you could buy one for $800. At more than twice that price... Meh.

I love my Herbert, but I’d take my recto in a mix or live anytime. No amp pummels you like a recto, and it is far and away the most dynamic high gain amp in a mix I’ve ever heard. If I was playing live again and wanted to use an amp, it would be extremely difficult not to use it, they are just the best to me.
a key thing you said here was 'in the mix'.

This is where rectos and marshalls get their love.

To me, Diezel's don't have that bitey top end which can make them more enjoyable by yourself sometimes.

I miss my Rev G, which I stupidly sold for a stinky ass Badlamer. Was it a bit spongey? Yes. Did it always need a boost? Also yes. Needed your ears to bleed to get that good tone? Yes. Did it sound brutal as hell once you had good tubes and a OD808 in front? Also yes.

Mine had Mike B's signature in it and I can't help but wonder if that's why mine sounded better than about a dozen others I compared it to. If I manage to get it back from a buddy, I think I'll do that Pre-500 mod myself. The dudes who are buying Rev F's, D's, C's and having them modded are a little out of their minds imho. Just get a common Rev G or any regular rectifier and mod it.

A buddy of mine had a Herbert, VH4, VHX and maybe another Diezel I'm forgetting. They sounded cool, but a little unsaturated with gain? I felt like I needed to dig in and pick harder. Didn't like the response I felt from those amps.

View attachment 305244

View attachment 305247
What is this 'Pre 500' mod you speak of? Can I find it on grailtone.com? My Rev G is currently in the shop getting a few resistors replaced.

Thanks man. Saved a bit of searching I'm sure. I like your old blue Rec. I may do something similar.

Thanks again bro :cheers:

No problem! Good luck on your modding adventure. I'm going to end up trying everything listed in that thread.

The face plate is mounted with some strong glue. The plywood behind it has a laminated top. Just make sure to get that sucker warm/hot. I ended up accidentally ripping off that lamination because I didn't hit it with heat. I had to improvise and use 3M velcro to re-mount the face plate.

To OP comment. Frankly the only Diezel made to do the recto thing in the MKIII Herbert. Diezels different creature than recto.
Einstein I have nothing like a recto. Amazing amp. Period. If you read up on them he liked marshalls but couldn’t get sling with the tone controls. So he developed the Diezel.
As for in/out style both are excellent amps.

The Herbert’s are the only Amos I like as much as my Hermansoms and Wizard . Listen to the comeback album Creed made in 2009 . It’s Herbert mk 1 and it’s so fucking cool to hear Mark use it

Herbert has always been my favorite Diezel.
I was playing one a lot in Orlando seven years ago.

The Rectifier I just consider part of the basic guitar vocabulary. Everyone knows that sound.

Back