Renegade Preamp Tube configurations HELP....

veets987

So i am looking to swap out my preamp tubes. I have some laying around and was wondering the best configuration. Right now my Channel 2 seems very gainy and compressed. Wanting to tame it a bit to get back the note definition. I currently have all JJ ECC83S Standards in there. I have the below tubes laying around. Any suggestions on what positions? Unfortunately i do not know if any of them are balanced for the PI position so i will probably have to leave in the JJ that is in there now, unless it wont cause issues if it isnt balanced in that position?

1 - Tungsol 12ax7
1 - Groove Tube 12ax7
2 - Made in Yugoslavia 12ax7 (not really sure what brand these are. all it says is "made in yugoslavia")
2 - Shuguang 12AX7-A
6 - Egnater Sovtek 12ax7-WA

Hoping to have a new configuration in by friday night for my next gig.. All input is appreciated..

[EDITED... what did I type .. at first didn't make any senses.. now it does]

The AX7 tubes will have the MOST gain
an AU7 will have the least amount of gain.

Deciding on a Tungsol vs xzy maker is subjective.
picking one AX7 over another AX7 is just picking a slight tone change, won't make the Channel 2 less gainy.

Check this out, might help

http://www.thetubestore.com/Resources/G ... ain-Factor

also
if you Chage V1 to a lower output tube, you ALSO change Channel 1's output

http://www.egnateramps.com/EgnaterProdu ... tions.html

look at the tube chart and you'll find that Channel 2 goes from V1, V3a, V3b, V4a V4b,,, then shared V5a/b and onto V6 PI

(Channel 1,, uses V1a, 2a, V2b, then shared V5a/b and onto V6 the PI)

if you want to lower the output of Channel 2 without effecting Channel 1's volume, then you need to put lower output tubes into V3 or V4 locations.

Thanks for the reply Eracer and link! I think im going to go ahead and try the stock Sovteks that were in there and i also ordered a Sovtek 12AX7-LPS for the PI slot. This would be a good start i think.

It sounds like all of your tubes are 12ax7's so all should be pretty close gain wise give or take a bit. To significantly lower gain you would want a 12au7 in V1 slot. I've heard from two different tube dealers that it makes no difference at all if you use a balanced tube in the PI slot of a guitar amp but of course everyone has their own opinion. I guarantee I couldn't tell a difference.

Yea I actually reached out to Bruce and he confirmed that you do not need a balanced tube for the PI position. That was after i ordered a balanced Sovtek 12ax7-LPS :doh: .

I think i just have not been happy with the JJ ECC83S Standards. I think they compressed channel 2 too much and are a bit gainier that what im wanting. I actually forgot i put them in about a year ago and havent really been happy since. Been changing out the Power Tubes thinking it was them lol. From what i read they seem to have a higher gain output than some. I remember liking the stock Sovtek tubes, so going to go back to those but add the 12AX7-LPS in the PI position and see how that goes. Thanks for the replies guys!

sadly the tube market is as much bogus hype and smoke and mirrors as it is a crap shoot hoping to get a good batch.

What was a good tube yesterday may just as well be crap this week, all depends on the batch, and yep your vendors will try to pawn off their gunk on you the consumer....thats why you always handle everything by the book and point it out when you go to request a working replacement for the junk tube they just shipped to you hoping you will take the blame for red plating it or just buy more thinking you messed up.....

wish I didnt have to be so jaded but these ridiculous tube guide write ups and brand pushers all know they are selling a lie to the tube newbies......just like Egnater dosnt care if you get F*ucked with their crap gear because a new sucker is born every second in a global market.

I just go with a brand I like the sound of a run it thru the whole amp....live and learn.

A made in Japan 12ax7 made on the blackburn mullard equipment in the 1970s resist breakup and compression so i use it in my overdrive and it holds defination excelent and not to fat sounding and great sounding highs .

There are different flavors of 12ax7 tubes , RCA gray plate and RFT and sovtek 12ax7wa all breakup fairly early.

I have a RI Tungsol 12ax7 sold as higher gain than normal on flea bay which will not breakup hardly at all in the Rebel 30 OD socket ? i paid extra for it and surprized as its the loudest tube pushed even more than a Ei 12ax7

Back