Renegade Question for Bruce or Ian

I want to use the preamp section of the Renegade to drive a Cathode Bias EL 84 power amp. If I use the Effects send , do I need to keep a speaker load on the Renegade to prevent damage to the power section? I do not want to use the speaker compensated line out as I want to be able to use either /or power section for recording and smaller rooms and for a different flavor.
Thanks
Ray

I'll be interested to hear the answer to this. But my understanding is that you never want to turn on a tube amp without a speaker load connected. You must be referring to a Renegade head? Because if you have a combo you wouldn't have to do anything more than plug into the effects send.

As long as the speaker load is connected, using the effects send is an effective way to send your preamp signal to another source - since that's what it's doing anyway when you send your signal to your effects. I would do this instead of trying to use the record out. One reason is that you would need to convert the XLR signal to a quarter inch signal. The other reason is that the line out signal is already mic/cabinet voiced and intended more for direct to P.A. or recording, not to a power amp. But If you like it this way, I don't know why you couldn't try it.

I'll give you the answer, but with some warnings.

You can do what you are asking, but.....YOU MUST TURN THE MAIN MASTER VOLUME ALL THE WAY DOWN. Also, the reverb, presence and density from the Renegade will not work. Haha, now with that said, if you forget to turn the master down and blow up the amp, I'll remember this question if the amp needs a warranty repair.

A safer alternative that you might like is to get a pair of EL84 adapters for the tube sockets, and run those on one side of the amp. That way you can use the tube mix knob to go between lower power EL84 tubes, and the higher power stock tubes that you leave in. Any questions, just message me.

Thanks Ian,
This is kind of what I expected but I wanted to make sure what was the safe way to do it first, and I could find out the Flavor change before I invest in any yellow jackets. If it is what I am looking for sound wise I may set it up with EL84's all across or 84's and 6V6's like the Rebel 30 but with the added sound shaping allowed by the Renegade. I know Bruce has told me that only JJ 6V6's can be used but I have been told by others that EH 6V6's can be used safely also and that even though they are only rated for 450V that they are a robust tube and can handle 500+ easily. Can you verify this ?
Thanks

I cannot verify those tubes being able to handle 500+. Not saying they can't, but I can't give you any personal experience that would let me verify them being able to handle that.

Back