Renegade / Rebel 30 Record Line Out - Phantom Power ok???

dgaemc2

Hi everybody,

A bit of background. I love the record line out feature offered by Egnater in these amps. Normally, I connect it to my mixer instead of micing my amp. This works well for me in my band because we only use dynamic mics (SM58, SM57) with phantom power of my mixer off.

However, this weekend I had the opportunity to use my Rebel 30 in a recording session with other musician's that were using condenser mics....and the mixer was not capable of individually selecting phantom power on / off in each channel. Their mixer had to be set to phantom power to accommodate their condenser mics. I did not want to risk possible damage to my Rebel 30 or their mixer......so I just mic'ed my cab for this session.

My question......is it safe to connect the record line out of my Renegade and Rebel 30 amps to a mixer set to phantom power without risk of damaging my amp(s) or the mixer??

Also, even if it is safe to do so......can I expect the same quality of sound from my amps when using the record line out connected to a mixer set to phantom power??

Neither the Renegade or Rebel 30 mention this in their respective manuals as best I can tell.

Thanks in advance.

i have a question somewhat related. I tried the line out feature one time right after i got it and i was getting a hum, almost like a ground hum or something. anyone else have this?

I get the hum, but I have a Tourmaster, not a rebel or renegade. I thought those were quieter. I think the Tourmasyet line out is just noisy.

:confused: :rock:

I do experience a slight hum from the Rebel 30 in the clean channel without using the record line out, however, it is so slight it is not a problem for me. I didn't notice any hum from the R30 while recording using the direct out, but honestly, it might have been there......I was merely adding one track to an already recorded by a band that I am not a regular member. Upon completing my track.....I just heard the whole song played back with all other instruments (previously recorded) which also including my track.

I have not experienced any hum from my Renegade in either channel by itself or while using the direct line out through a mixer / PA.

Once again, I am very impressed with how good my R30 and Renegade sound using the direct out feature offered on both amps. I believe it really captures the great sound offered by both amplifiers without having to mic the cabs.

Hope this helps!

When I gig with my Rebel 30, the sound guys want to mic it. I tell them they don't need to, just gimme an XLR.
They're always skeptical and I tell them to give it a try and make the call. They never end up mic'ing it and say they can;t believe how good it sounds.

I really wish the Tourmaster had the same direct out as the Rebel.

Len Rabinowitz":1s4lo3ts said:
I wish so too, or at least that it was quieter. I find it unusable.

Maybe it could be modded?

:confused: :scared: :cry: :doh: :rock:
can't use mine either. it's not terribley loud but just enough to be annoying. it does sound great though....

I do lot of church gig and lately there were few sets where I am playing with a traditional choir. I got complaint that my guitar amp bothers them.. my usual rig is Mic'ed Marshall Combo. Last night I pulled my Rebel 30 combo...and plugged XLR into the FOH and put my R30 into silent mode. it sounded so shrill. Other musicians complained it sounded bad too. I ended up reverting back to my Marshall set up.. We use IEM. so I was getting direct XLR from R30 into my IEM. I can understand that it will sound in your face ... even with good speaker sim.. Is there any tip to make this sound usable...??

I see many posting that claims that Direct to FOH method for guitarist with Modeling Unit.. Line 6, 11, etc.. and there are few power soak type speaker sim that you can use your own favorite amp.

I am not new to Modeling.. I have used POD and Line 6 product in many forms.. recording... live. but I always revert back to real amp. But lately I really need to find a quick resolution to this issue... Is live Sound Reinforcement going all IEM and quiet stage volume. ?

Back