Revv G4, BE-OD, Tightmetal high gain pedals?

cardinal

Anyone use one of these new high gain pedals (Revv, Friedman, Amptweaker etc) into something like a clean Marshall?

Thinking of using something like this into the low input of a 2204 but not sure if it'll really sound that great. Most of the demos I can find, particularly if the Revv, sound good but run the pedal into an FX loop or aren't doing palm muted rhythm stuff.

Love the G4. I ran it in one of the loops of a MS3 into a 2204 and later into a Bassman. I think they’re awesome. Haven’t owned a BE-OD.

For 2204 I did find the Hi input to be a bit livelier feeling. So I ran it like that with preamp low and master up

I had a Revv (G3, actually) and the BE and loved the Revv into everything I tried it in. I still regret trading it. I highly recommend the Rev. The BE was good too though. I just thought it felt less… genuinely angry? I almost got the AT but ended up with a Ceres instead so can’t help there.

I honestly don't think some of them (the modern pre amp high gain pedals) sound good. I've heard from a lot of people that the purple Revv pedal is the best one, and its sounded okay to my ears on recording. The BE is really, really overgained from what I've heard, but if thats the sound you're going for....

I may be in the minority but I didn’t love the Ceres, speaking on the modern pedals. I tried it with KSR’s power amp and a few others as well as with a Marshall, etc and it didn’t give me anything I wanted to keep it for. User error probably.

I honestly don't think some of them (the modern pre amp high gain pedals) sound good. I've heard from a lot of people that the purple Revv pedal is the best one, and its sounded okay to my ears on recording. The BE is really, really overgained from what I've heard, but if thats the sound you're going for....
The guy with the amazing sounding Larry thinks a pedal doesn't sound great haha. Yeah, I definitely understand that it's about setting expectations. The 2204 just is my happy place but every once in a while I want something more wild and these Revv pedals might be worth a look for me.

The guy with the amazing sounding Larry thinks a pedal doesn't sound great haha. Yeah, I definitely understand that it's about setting expectations. The 2204 just is my happy place but every once in a while I want something more wild and these Revv pedals might be worth a look for me.

Hit me where it hurts @cardinal

I CANT HELP THAT MY EARS ARE SPOILED

TBH though I think you can get much better tones stacking pedals than with a dedicated high gain preamp pedal, especially with something like a 2204.

Hit me where it hurts @cardinal

I CANT HELP THAT MY EARS ARE SPOILED

TBH though I think you can get much better tones stacking pedals than with a dedicated high gain preamp pedal, especially with something like a 2204.
It's really unbelievable how good your amp sounds in every clip you post. Just unreal.

It's really unbelievable how good your amp sounds in every clip you post. Just unreal.

Dude thank you so much, i really appreciate it.

It would blow your mind further if you knew just how BAD my recording gear is.

I have like 10g into my guitar rig, and like 500$ total into my recording stuff.

The larry is just so good it shines through no matter what I ask it to do, recording wise

I am absolutely forever a larry player, i've been corrupted - i now COUNT on some of the reactions and feel things from the amp in my playing.

I have one of the old TightMetal ST pedals....it's very amp dependent. Sounds really good through some of my amps and shitty on others

Unfortunately I don't have a 2204 to try it with :sick:

I’m running a BE OD Deluxe into a CLEAN non-MV 1973 Marshall 50-watt and it is literally a legit 3-channel amp. This particular Marshall has damn-near ‘Fenderish’ cleans and with chorus and a touch of verb/delay, the cleans are simply gorgeous. The two channels on the BE Deluxe offer noticeably different degrees of gain and compression. It is a killer set up.

P.S. - I have since dumped the Mooer Jet Engine in favor of a true. MXR Micro-Flanger.

Attachments

• 67D68FD7-6B03-437E-B6FF-BC9FE5B5B767.jpeg
    67D68FD7-6B03-437E-B6FF-BC9FE5B5B767.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 64
  • F3898058-5F75-4875-9CC2-619A39C7BD94.jpeg
    F3898058-5F75-4875-9CC2-619A39C7BD94.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 85
I’m running a BE OD Deluxe into a CLEAN non-MV 1973 Marshall 50-watt and it is literally a legit 3-channel amp. This particular Marshall has damn-near ‘Fenderish’ cleans and with chorus and a touch of verb/delay, the cleans are simply gorgeous. The two channels on the BE Deluxe offer noticeably different degrees of gain and compression. It is a killer set up.

P.S. - I have since dumped the Mooer Jet Engine in favor of a true. MXR Micro-Flanger.
Cool; are you going into the bright input? I guess you have then jumped.

I worry about the amp's bright cap making these pedals sound weird.

Cool; are you going into the bright input? I guess you have then jumped.

I worry about the amp's bright cap making these pedals sound weird.
I’ve tried both inputs - there is enough ‘crossover’ that both volume controls are functional on either input even with no jumper. Without the jumper, the volume for whatever input you are using is definitely the more dominant or ‘active’ of the two volumes, but you can color the sound with the other volume. In this pic, I have the inputs jumpered, but since then I have been playing a lot through the darker channel, no jumper, and using the volume for the brit’s channel just to add a touch of glassiness to the top end. I‘ve also used the bride channel with no jumper and use the ch-II volume to add some bottom end. The jumper basically makes both volume controls equally active.

Definitely, definitely, these ‘amp-in-a-box’ pedals are so amp dependent. They can sound ‘pretty good’ plugged into an amp with blah clean channel, and then they can sound incredible plugged into an amp with a genuinely good clean channel. I tried my BE OD Deluxe through a buddies 6L6 powered Fender Twin and was getting almost Mesa Mark tones out of the lower gain channel and Recto style tones out of the higher gain channel. The BE OD Deluxe is a real keeper pedal.

I have the Revv G3 and also a KSR Ceres.

The Revv sounds great into the clean channel of my JP2C. I also boost it with a Maxon OD808. Feels amp like to me not like a pedal but like another channel.

The Ceres is also great. I use it into a SD Power Stage 170. I boost it with an OD as I do most everything though it probably dosen't need it. I am also using an MXR 10 band EQ between the Ceres and Power Stage for tone shaping.

I love pedals into the low input of a 2204/3. I'm currently using a Steel Panther Butthole Burner for my hot-rodded Marshall sounds and it's great. Like it better than the BEOD, which I felt needed a mid knob.

I love pedals into the low input of a 2204/3. I'm currently using a Steel Panther Butthole Burner for my hot-rodded Marshall sounds and it's great. Like it better than the BEOD, which I felt needed a mid knob.
Yeah, I think I'd get the BEOD deluxe pedal with the mid knobs. Hadn't heard of the Butthole Burner; guess Friedman had taken all the other names already.

Anyone use one of these new high gain pedals (Revv, Friedman, Amptweaker etc) into something like a clean Marshall?

Thinking of using something like this into the low input of a 2204 but not sure if it'll really sound that great. Most of the demos I can find, particularly if the Revv, sound good but run the pedal into an FX loop or aren't doing palm muted rhythm stuff.

Why not go boss OD-1 copy into high channel. Tight for days, ultimate return on riffage.

Back