Revv G8 Noise Gate Threshold

eddyrox

Just picked up a Revv G8 - and YES it definitely delivers!
Running a pedal board with OD, EQ and Parametric EQ in front of a 5150... (coverband plays hairmetal to brutal death metal hence the EQ's)
I previously ran an ISP Decimator G-String II on the board...which is ok, but the hold and release times weren't ideal for chuggin and then to sustained leads....

the REVV G8 does absolutely work in this context.

Question: the threshold at set at zero is cuts 100% of the noise - is this normal?
(the ISP Decimator has a gradual decrease, and you can hear the pedal clamping down on the noise, usually btwn 40% to 30% but higher on noisy pedalboard like my current configuration.

I've read that the ISP has a different kind of circuit to track the guitar signal, but i cannot recall the name....

I recently bought a G8 to compare to my Zuul+ and both pedals are fantastic...but I returned the G8 because it just didn't make sense to own both. Yes, even with the threshold at minimum the G8 cuts all the noise. The Zuul+ on the other hand won't engage until you raise the gate knob to the sweet spot. Tone wise the G8 sounds damn near identical to the Zuul+ and I believe I read they are using the same chip. If I was buying new I'd save some cash and buy the G8.

I've owned the Decimator G-String as well and while it's a great pedal, it doesn't quite compare to these two. Another honorable mention would be the Lichtlaerm Key and The Gate but it lacks the hold and release pots.

Back