Rhodes owners...

Clayspun

What you guys using in your colossus/Gemini/orthos for tubes? Mainly preamp tubes, but power tubes too if your using something out of the ordinary. I never cared for jj 12ax7s, too dark and undefined but putting a few chinese tubes in there didn't really do too much. Colossus still sounded great with the jj's, just think I could get it a little bit closer to exactly what I like. Also wanna try some kt88s in it.

I just got pics from kyle of my Gemini build. Way excited. I had him set it up for kt88's since they are my favorite power tube. Will watch this thread to see what people are putting in the preamp section, but I'm willing to bet it comes ready to slay from kyle's hands to mine.

Yea, they sound sick straight from him, kt88s are going in my colossus as soon as I have the $. I've just never liked jj pre's but maybe they do work well in this amp. I put some Ruby chinese in all the gain stages and I actually think I liked it better with the jj's. That's why I was asking cause I usually like chinese tubes cause their nice and bright and sparkly but it seems the jj's sounded a little better. Really full sounding amp, a lot of low end and it will kick you in the chest when you crank it. Congrats on your soon to be owned amp dude :)

one tube I have used is the Tung Sols in V1 they are brighter more mid BUT they can be noisy

Yea tung sols are a great v1 tube. Very full sounding. I have a couple of those but they are old and don't have much left in em. I'm used to playing a peavey and using certain tubes to reduce the fizziness, 5751's, 12dw7's. The colossus doesn't have that fizziness so Im trying to come up with a good combo of pre's. Maybe the colossus just sounds good no matter what's in it! That's probably it.

Yea I ended up putting the jj's back in and it does sound killer, probably just stick with those. Thanks for chiming in fluff.

I just have the stock tubes. There's too many knobs and switches to mess with first. I heard that there's a separate preamp tube for the clean channel, so that's only thing I might mess with at this point.

Back