Routing For WDW With Axe And A Preamp

dfrattaroli

I have an Egnater M4 and Axe Fx Standard that I'd like to run in a WDW rig. I mainly want to use the Axe for FX w/ the M4 but I also want to be able to use the Axe alone.

I know I can wire this using the 4 cable method and get a nice stereo rig, but I want to add the dry center. I have a Bogner 2x12 and VHT 2502 for dry and Carvin DCM150 and 2 CAA 1x12 cubes for the wet.

It would appear to me that I can accomplish this by using the 4CM above and just sending the Right Axe Fx Send to my VHT for dry. (The Left Axe Fx Send goes to the Egnater's Input).

My question Dave would be: Would you suggest a different method? Do you see any issues with doing it this way?

PS

I'm also going to use a GCX/GCP. But I'll ask a specific question about that later.

Thanks.

Dave

The best way to do it is with a switcher. So the front end of the axe fx is in a loop the m4 is also in a loop the out of those loops split to the vht power amp and the Axe return and main outs of the axe to the carvin. Now that does not sound that hard but there is going to be ground loop hell. Its to hard to explain here though.

Thanks Dave.

Do you normally use a washer between the gear and the rails or not? Just curious. I've read arguments for using both methods.

Thanks again.

Dave

Dave, if I have the Axe's front-end in say, loop 3 (GCX) and the M4 in loop 4, I would send the loop 4 Out jack to the dry amp. Could I just use a "Y" cable at that jack to split the signal so that one could go to the dry amp and the other could get fed back to the Axe's FX return? I ask because I don't have a lineout to use to get the signal back to the Axe's loop return.

I know in other GCX sample diagrams that they use "Y" cables from time to time so I thought it might work in this application.

Thanks.

Dave

RACKSYSTEMS":3syouvl4 said:
The best way to do it is with a switcher. So the front end of the axe fx is in a loop the m4 is also in a loop the out of those loops split to the vht power amp and the Axe return and main outs of the axe to the carvin. Now that does not sound that hard but there is going to be ground loop hell. Its to hard to explain here though.

You got that right! I am using a RG16 with a Soldano Slo and a Bogner Fish, Axe FX for fx. I just had to give up on running into the front of the Axe to use the compressors, drives and wah, etc. Could not get rid of a really bad hum. Tried everything. Eventually just ran into the RG and either the Slo or Fish back to the return of the SLO, to a Palmer then into the return of the Axe. No problems that way, but I lose anything that I would have before the guitar would hit the inputs of the amp/pre. rest of chain is out of the Axe into a Manley pre into 2 powered wedges. Eventually when Faustine gets his attenuators done I would like to run dry into a cab, and as above, but only wet through the wedges. But not sure how to ever use the front end of the Axe.

I decided to do it Dave's way and deal with any ground loops I may have. I figure it'll be a good learning experience.

This weekend I made 3 speaker cables from 14 gauge SoundRunner and the large Neutrik 225LL connectors. I don't have a cable tester yet so I just tested continuity from pin to pin and sleeve to sleeve with a MM.

Then I started making audio cables. I made about 8. So far I'm using Mogami 2524 and Neutrik N2PC connectors.

I've got 2 stomps in the first 2 loops of the GCX, loop 2 to loop 3. Loop 3's send and return go to the Input 1 L and Output 1 L of the Axe. Loop 3 Out to Loop 4 In. Loop 4 send and return to the input (rear) and output of the M4. That's as far as I got. My Loop 4 out will be a "Y" cable with one leg going dry to the VHT 2/50/2 and the other going back into the Axe's Loop via Input 2 L. The Output 2 L and R will feed the wet DCM150 and 2 cabs. I'm trying to keep it neat as possible.

I'll post pics when I'm done.

Dave

That sounds cool. I really would like to get Dave to wire mine, but he's so busy and I play almost every weekend. I'm sure he could do wonders. Might have to figure out how to work out a schedule with him. Good luck on yours, hope it turns out well.

Back