Run Rebel-30 at 4 ohms with 8 ohm speaker?

Soundchasm

Hello,
I've discovered that there's about a 3db volume drop from the head when I switch it from 8 to 4 ohms. There's a very subtle tone change as well. I think there are occasions when that 3db drop could be all the attenuation I need.

Clean channel volume at 11 am (watts=30), Ch2 gain at 2 pm, ch2 volume at 9 am (watts=30), tube blend center.

I normally run a single 8 ohm 12" Greenback, or G12H30, or V30. I don't think I'm running the amp hard, and I haven't blown a speaker, so I suspect I could get away with this, but I wonder what the expert advice is.

Thanks,
Greg

I've done that many times and been fine, but you probably should wait for Bruce or someone else to chime in. I've always felt that you could go from one step lower amp setting to the next step up cab setting and be fine. Others say different though.

Thank you Buckeyedog. I can only imagine that it's not that big a deal since I don't dime anything. I know that a head needs to be specially designed to be able to handle a two ohm load, but that's in reference to PA power.

I know somebody out there will tell me that a mismatch is a mismatch, and maybe all are unsafe, but I think this direction may be less unsafe!

Thanks,
Greg

Back