Saw Metallica last night….

Tone Monster

Have to say they were surprisingly good. Lars attempted double bass when required and actually kinda pulled it off. The mix sucked unfortunately. When there was a “James part” during a song (guitar wise) you really couldn’t hear it and Kirks solo volume bump was waaaaaay too loud. But overall I give em a B+ and had a great time. Pretty impressive for a herd of 60 year olds.

I saw them in MSG in the either 2010 or 2011. The mix sucked for that show too. I couldn’t hear much of the guitars at all and the drums were too loud and shrill sounding, but was cool for me to at least see them once

I'm going to see them on the 3rd. Will be my first time seeing them. Honestly not a Metallica fan whatsoever, but my wife's uncle asked if we wanted to go and I figured I'd never go otherwise. Interested to see how good they are live.

I’m going Friday. I’m actually pumped to see Wolfe live too. Pantera, not so much I’m sorry to say. At least Rex is back in.

I think their mix always must suck but it's great to see them. Last I saw them it was if there was a blanket between them and the audience but it didn't matter too much

Have to say they were surprisingly good. Lars attempted double bass when required and actually kinda pulled it off. The mix sucked unfortunately. When there was a “James part” during a song (guitar wise) you really couldn’t hear it and Kirks solo volume bump was waaaaaay too loud. But overall I give em a B+ and had a great time. Pretty impressive for a herd of 60 year olds.

I saw them last night as well. I'm not sure the towers/arrays do a great job of dispersing the high end. We couldn't hear any guitars during Mammoth or Pantera, or maybe just a hint during the solos, if you focused. Otherwise, just a lot of muddy low end, bass and drums, and some vocals buried in it. I got up a couple times to check out the merch line, and once to hit the restroom, and it seemed like that in other areas/levels as well. By the time Metallica took the stage, they'd dialed back on the low end considerably, and we could hear rhythm and lead guitars, and vocals.

I get that sound reinforcement in a stadium can be a challenge, but at their level they should be able to do better than that. I thought Metallica played a good set though, and nice to hear some of the older tunes, which tend to also be the solos I prefer.

Big Mick is out ... I felt like the mix was not as good overall. Mick had 40 years mixing those guys .... new guy is obviously great but I did feel it wasn't the same without Mick.

Last edited:
I saw them in east rutherford a few weeks ago, i was on the floor near the stage and i could hear the instruments most of the night, i just wished everything was louder, i my ears dont ring after a metallica show anymore, but when i jam on my amps or see alot of other bands my ears ring after the show, haha im a weirdo but i feel like thats part of the experience riding home, ears ringing🤣

Im gonna be at both so-fi shows in cali next week, i still get excited to see metallica and i always have fun, they might not sound as good live as the black album days, but they are older now and i go to a show knowing that and not expecting a young hetfield and hammett.

Last edited:
I’m going Friday. I’m actually pumped to see Wolfe live too. Pantera, not so much I’m sorry to say. At least Rex is back in.
if you liked pantera at all, it'll be cool to hear those songs live with a big crowd of fans. i know it sucks that dime got murdered. i know it sucks that vinny became a vindictive old crabby drunk in his final years and blamed everything on phil instead of getting a fucking therapist and working that shit out.... but it'll still be cool to hear those songs live with a bunch of fans screaming and jamming along. rex and phil got their shit together and look healthy, and seem to get along. so don't take it too seriously, just take it in for what it is... a tribute. you paid all that money...and this is the closest thing we've got left lol. i saw phil and his band of "nobodies" so to speak, play those songs at harpos (rock club in detroit), and it was one of the best shows i'd seen in years. the songs sounded great, and the crowd was super into it.

This guy is supposedly an audio engineer, though when he starts discussing specifics I started questioning the authenticity of the ”audio engineer” thing, but I’d imagine this is the experience a lot of people are getting higher up in the stadiums-

Pretty sure our tickets for Gillette have us on the first level above the floor, I know the people higher up are going to be fucked in that place.

This guy is supposedly an audio engineer, though when he starts discussing specifics I started questioning the authenticity of the ”audio engineer” thing, but I’d imagine this is the experience a lot of people are getting higher up in the stadiums-

Pretty sure our tickets for Gillette have us on the first level above the floor, I know the people higher up are going to be fucked in that place.

hes not wrong about the traffic, i live in CT and giants stadium is 50 minutes with no traffic, the last time on a August friday going there for AC/DC we left at 1 and no joke got there just as they were going on at 9, its just unbearable. ac/dc kicked so much ass that night though, unlike metallica when i saw them there in 2000 and could barely make out what songs they were playing even with a normal stage, it was so incredibly disappointing for me at 17 years old :(:LOL:

I saw them on the lia
I saw them last night as well. I'm not sure the towers/arrays do a great job of dispersing the high end. We couldn't hear any guitars during Mammoth or Pantera, or maybe just a hint during the solos, if you focused. Otherwise, just a lot of muddy low end, bass and drums, and some vocals buried in it. I got up a couple times to check out the merch line, and once to hit the restroom, and it seemed like that in other areas/levels as well. By the time Metallica took the stage, they'd dialed back on the low end considerably, and we could hear rhythm and lead guitars, and vocals.

I get that sound reinforcement in a stadium can be a challenge, but at their level they should be able to do better than that. I thought Metallica played a good set though, and nice to hear some of the older tunes, which tend to also be the solos I prefer.
For pantera all I hear now is Phil and that kick drum . No guitars or bass . Horrible

Back