school me on Les Paul Customs

roodboy

Thinking about a LP custom
Love my GO but looking for a meaner LP
Is there a difference between a custom shop les paul custom and a 57 ri les paul custom?
What years are richlite boards?
What do you think is a good price?

Soundwise every Gibson LP is different, EVERY. For me, it really doesn't matter if this is Les Paul Custom, R reissue or 57 RI. I played few R models on one amp and some of them were true rock or blues axes, but there was one R9 which was metal as fuck, it was fast, tight, CREATED for metal. Seriously, if I had that 6500 euro I'd take this guitar immediately. I bought LPC for myself later but not because it's LPC and it's supposed to do something, I bought it because that particular guitar was also "metal". Well, it isn't as metal as that R9 I played before, but still.

All high end Gibsons (LPC, R RI, 57 RI) are pretty same when it comes to materials they are made from, it's just mahogany body with maple top (I know B7 doesn't have maple top, it's all mahogany body), mahogany neck (Zakk Wylde LPC has maple neck) and ebony or rosewood fingerboard. Cheaper models has different fingerboards. Custom shop models differ in pickups, potentiometers, capacitors etc. but it actually doesn't mean anything. Again, that R9 I played had low output alnico 2 pickups and was way more mean than LPC with high output alnico 5 pickups I played later.

Richlite fingerboards were introduced to Custom Shop models in 2012 but they were used earlier too (Buckethead model).

Good price? There isn't such thing as good price. If you find the guitar that suit your needs you pay the price the man wants, because probably you won't find another guitar that sounds the same.

68 RI has maple top no weight relief and abr
Custom shop customs will start with CS in serial they are weight relieved with nashville bridge
both good choices and used I wouldnt pay over $2400
I prefer vintage and non weight relieved I own a 71

The historic LP Customs are the ones to focus on imo, mainly the '68 and '57 reissues.

True the '68RI isn't "weight relieved" but it is "chambered". Chambering both reduces weight and theoretically adds resonance. The '68 also has a maple top/cap and a super fat neck. Comes loaded with 57 classics and ABR style bridge.

The '57RI is a solid one-piece mahogany with no chambering or weight relief. Also, no top/cap on the '57, just a solid block of wood throughout. Again, fat neck on these although I happened upon one in Antique TV Pelham with a little thinner neck profile and jumped on it immediately. These come loaded with burstbuckers and again, ABR style bridge.

The standard LP Custom is "weight relieved" which looks like swiss cheese. Not chambered for resonance, just drilled out to make things lighter. Not sure on the top wood with these. Come loaded with 498t and 490r and I'm thinking a Nashville bridge. These are way overpriced (same with every Gibson Custom) and mass produced so not really "Custom Shop" builds at all. Should be avoided imo. Focus on the Historic stuff or something vintage.

$2500 would be a fantastic price on a new Historic sadly. Not cheap.

Thanks for the replies.
Sounds like a 57ri is what I want, I'm not a big fan of weight relief or chambering on a LP.
I dont know the difference between an nashville and ABR style bridge
How do you ID a 57RI vs a standard LP Custom?

Just go and play a bunch of them. The past year I have tried a couple and they felt pretty much the same but one was a standard and a Traditional with a slimmer neck/plex'd with push pull pots.

My '07 Blonde Beauty oozes tone for days :D
3 piece flame maple neck
BurstBucker Pros pups
AAA flame maple top
Chambered mahogany body

But the feel and tone is amazing. :rock:

Im pretty sure the 68 RI is solid as its a historically correct copy of a 68 which were solid. The all mahogany 57 may be darker sounding than maple top.

halebox":gi1tmkfw said:
Im pretty sure the 68 RI is solid as its a historically correct copy of a 68 which were solid. The all mahogany 57 may be darker sounding than maple top.
+1 Yeah, as far as I know the 68 RI is solid.

Don't let the Richlite fretboards scare you off, they don't appeal to the purist, but they sound and feel fantastic IMO.

I bought my first Custom new when I was 14. That was in 1980. If I recall correctly, the SN indicated it was a 78 or 79. Anyway, I sold it a few years ago and didn't have another les paul until about 2-3 weeks ago. I'm 48 now. I ordered one from sweetwater and figured I take a shot at one off the rack. Gibson must be improving their QC because the one I got was still in tune out of the box and looks and sounds great. Action is a hair higher than I like and I prefer 9s but I'm impressed. It's a signature T with the granadillo fretboard but a good Les Paul through and through.

The main rule to remember about Les Pauls in general is that there really are no rules. As much as some like to point to certain years as being better, there's really no truth to it...most of those folks either happened upon one or more good ones from a certain year or (more commonly) they are just regurgitating what they heard/read somewhere else.
Gibson's QC has always been "hit or miss", but they were probably more miss than hit during the Norlin years. That said, the only LPC that I've had that I consider a "keeper" is a '76...go figure.
Bottom line is that you need to throw out any preconceived notions and just play a bunch of them...it's the only way to be sure that you get the one that's right for you. And don't be scared off by things like weight relief/chambering if you like the guitar...most players weren't even aware that those things were going on until years later. They're undetectable for the most part, especially when you consider all of the other variables that affect tone and response. Most players who claim not to care for them simply don't like the idea of having wood removed and have no concept of how it functionally affects the instrument. Don't get hung up on the details...let your hands and ears make the decision.

rupe":yog0h04w said:
Bottom line is that you need to throw out any preconceived notions and just play a bunch of them...it's the only way to be sure that you get the one that's right for you. And don't be scared off by things like weight relief/chambering if you like the guitar...most players weren't even aware that those things were going on until years later. They're undetectable for the most part, especially when you consider all of the other variables that affect tone and response. Most players who claim not to care for them simply don't like the idea of having wood removed and have no concept of how it functionally affects the instrument. Don't get hung up on the details...let your hands and ears make the decision.
^^^^ This^^^^ :yes:

^ Great advice. Play a lot of them and of all different models. I picked up an '82 Standard (yes, Norlins) with a 3 piece top, 3 piece neck. I replaced the stock Shaws with an SD Custom and 59. I'll put it up against any other LP. Heavy as hell, but it's got a fast unique neck and sounds amazing. Don't get hung up on the bullshit.

57 RI are all mahogany. They are the be all end all LPC in my opinion but I'm a bit biased ;)
<<<<<------2008 BB7 3PU version

Rezamatix":mz1vre2f said:
pstar":mz1vre2f said:
Gorehog":mz1vre2f said:
How do h keep the G string in tune?

re-cut nut and have luthier do the buz feilten method, will be intonated all over the board :thumbsup:
Don't do this!
Just make sure the nut is cut correctly and use big bends but sauce.
That's ALL you ever need to do.

Hahaha but sauce!

Seriously though, I've always been happiest with older
(1986 max) Customs.

I think older the better. I do love the even plekked frets of the new but you can do that to an old one. I think the sound of old wood sounds better and more middy to me. The newer ones sound more even and full range I look for pre 83 all solid bodies.
I also prefer the skinny necks of the vintage ones. Even the 68 RI seem too fat for me. This is just my preference

I have a standard and a custom.

I love both. The standard was my first LP and is my mainstay.

The LP Custom I bought later on, I have a richlite board (it played and sounded better than the ebony one in the same store).

After a while, I decided I couldn't live with the small fretwire and had it refretted with jumbos. I'm very glad I did, it's a phenomenal guitar now. I'm considering getting the Standard done too largely as the ends are a little sharp on it.

I replaced the electronics in both. The 300k pots are a stupid idea and need changing. I have the original pickups in the LP Custom and like them just fine, but replaced the ones in the Standard with a Duncan Distortion and Jazz combo.

I have an ESP Eclipse too with EMGs. Between the three, the ESP was the better value for money. Played and sounded great out of the case and I've not so much as messed with the action in the 2 years I've had it. But pleased with all three.

My Jacksons get far more love though.

Back