School me on the Engl Savage 120

tonmazz

Hey guys. I've been in Marshall land for a long time and have an Uberschall Rev Blue as my heavy alternative. I just heard Killzone's Savage clips and they sound great, heavy as hell! As we all know, some amps sound different recorded than in person. What is the deal with this amp? Is it close to my Bogner or a different animal all together? WHat might it be comparable to if not the Bogner? What do these go for cost wise? Thanks!

tonmazz":dumuqb8a said:
Hey guys. I've been in Marshall land for a long time and have an Uberschall Rev Blue as my heavy alternative. I just heard Killzone's Savage clips and they sound great, heavy as hell! As we all know, some amps sound different recorded than in person. What is the deal with this amp? Is it close to my Bogner or a different animal all together? WHat might it be comparable to if not the Bogner? What do these go for cost wise? Thanks!

Well here's my 2 cents....It sounds much better in person to me, way better then mic'ing it or recording direct like i did. I have never played an uber, but im sure it could hang just as well. I got mine for about 1700, but they go for about 22-2300 new I believe. It has massive lowend, and great saturation, and a pretty smooth midrange. That clip was just my stock parker, then I just used the effects send right into the soundcard with Voxengo Boogex and guitarhacks impulses, simple and sounds pretty killer. I also have the Powerball, and while that is good too, the savage just sounds bigger and more 3-D in person.

I think the savage is the best value, sound and bang for the buck of all the Engl amps.
I have heard people say it's a mix between Marshall and a Mesa, but that is just one of a hundred diff opinions. It's more than hot rodded, it badass nuclear high gain and very mean sounding ( high gain channel ) Can be noisey? Could be quiet depending on tubes and condition of them? I love my Savage! My .002 cents

can't say it sounds like the bogner uber , but there are a few similarities for sure.
I get just as excited or more about the savage, speaking from someone who owns both.

Although it gets pigeonholed at an extreme metal amp, I found it to be way more versatile than that. It can do the hot-rodded Marshall tone easily while bringing it's own thing to the party for 80's hard rock/metal...then kick it up a notch if that's what you need. Cleans are also solid if not pristine...they will certainly cut it for most all but the most delicate of passages while gigging. Overall, I think it's a much more versatile head than the Uber in my experience...I personally found the Uber to sound great but lack verstility.

FWIW, when I reworked my live rig last year, I narrowed my choices down to the Savage, the Mako Custom Hundred, and the Axe-FX Ultra. Had I not chosen to go the Axe rout, it would have been the Savage (due to the poor effects loop in the Mako). I still may grab one at some point.

One other thing about the Savage. It's one of the original issue's of High gain heads. What I mean by that is that you had the Soldano SLO, Peavey 5150, Boogie Rect, Ampeg VL series, VHT Pit Bull, Laney GHL series, Egnater TOL100 etc... that whole first run era of modded high gain amps out of the box that to me...all were kinda Marshall based barring the Rect. Really I think had the amp not been named the Savage which IMO stereotyped that amp to a certain market it probably would have been held in as high regard as the Dual Rect and the SLO. Even today within the entire Engl line it gets a bit overlooked and IMO is the best amp they produce. The Savage is still one of the amps I'd like to own one day.

I owned one during my Amp flipping days. It was a great amp. I liked the Invader 150 a little better....
but that was just me. ;)

nice amp, i owned one breifly and thought it was great, i have a blackmore right now but some days i get tempted to sell it and get a savage.

I actually just put my Savage on Ebay today. I have compared it with alot of amps, it really is it's own beast. It will do more than metal, but it does do metal sooooo goooood!

Back