Scored a Mesa F-100...

mightyjoeyoungxnj

I've always been somewhat interested in these amps. They didn't seem to get much love. A band called Bison B.C. that I really dig used one on their newest album and I really love the tone so I went for it. Can't wait to get it!

Anyone else have experience with these?

-Joe

awesome amps!! I loved my f-50. Sadly i sold it to fund my vh4 and i love it too but the f50 has awesome cleans and the od is very raw. A very nice mix between a mark and a recto. I'd own one again for sure. When i get my axe fx i will create an f100 patch mixing a mark and a recto

had a love hate relationship with the F-50 combo, I feel the 1x12 combo was NOT a match for this amp, it needed at least a 2x12. I bet the 100 in a head or 2x12 combo would of sounded much better.

I played an F-50 combo one time at a store for a few minutes, so it wasn't a great test, but I did like what I heard. It had a pretty raw od sound, and a good amount of sustain. I'd like to spend a little more time with one, though if I bought one, I'd probably go for a head.

Audioholic":l4f2yomo said:
had a love hate relationship with the F-50 combo, I feel the 1x12 combo was NOT a match for this amp, it needed at least a 2x12. I bet the 100 in a head or 2x12 combo would of sounded much better.

+1 the combo sounds good for clean stuff and slight OD sounds. As soon as I hooked it up to my 2x12 that amp came alive! :D

Joeytpg":mgoat3f6 said:
Audioholic":mgoat3f6 said:

+1 the combo sounds good for clean stuff and slight OD sounds. As soon as I hooked it up to my 2x12 that amp came alive! :D

Good to hear!

It'll be played through a Stone Age 4x12 with a Vintage 30/G12H30 x-pattern.

-Joe

Audioholic":39mn68wq said:
+1 I had the same experiance. It was totally brutal when I plugged it into my 412. Brutal. Not so good with an open back 112. I would buy a head next time for sure.

droptrd":2uqtl8mz said:
Audioholic":2uqtl8mz said:
+1 I had the same experiance. It was totally brutal when I plugged it into my 412. Brutal. Not so good with an open back 112. I would buy a head next time for sure.

Totally agree dude. I could barely get enough bass, turn it up to high, and it was all farty and mushy, much to brittle treble, very bright. BUT plugged it into an extension cab, and bam, tons of low end, high end evened out, sounded huge and much better. definetally a head is the way to go on this particuliar amp, or at least connected to a 2x12. open back 1x12, nope, good for cleans and a pedal though.

droptrd":3pqdpi3v said:
Audioholic":3pqdpi3v said:

Yeah!
It`s the same with loads of Boogie combos. I`ve had a MK1 and (now) a Caliber 50+.

The Caliber was suited for pop/rock in the combo shell, now it`s made for metal :D

n715822456_2907355_2335157.jpg

the F series sound fantastic imho. cleans are almost as good as the lonestar, the clean channel does a great mid gain thing, and i love the OD channel. thick and juicy and very warm.

good blah, shouldn't have sold mine. :no:

Ivan,

It was a bit of a whim thing, so that's why I didn't post a thread!

Juggernaut? I saw your clip when I was searching youtube. Great sound! Honestly, the fact that I've heard that the clean is great is a great bonus for me. I was going to have a two amp setup, but am going to try just using this for now!

Thanks guys,
-Joe

mightyjoeyoungxnj":9eqvpuop said:
Ivan,

Juggernaut? I saw your clip when I was searching youtube. Great sound! Honestly, the fact that I've heard that the clean is great is a great bonus for me. I was going to have a two amp setup, but am going to try just using this for now!

Thanks guys,
-Joe

For now? dude unless you're into Vox cleans or marshall cleans, the F-series has INCREDIBLE CLEANS..(I'm talking about Lonestar cleans...... actually the F-50/100 was the "model" for the Lonestar cleans

Joeytpg":23yxepcr said:
mightyjoeyoungxnj":23yxepcr said:
Ivan,

Thanks guys,
-Joe

For now? dude unless you're into Vox cleans or marshall cleans, the F-series has INCREDIBLE CLEANS..(I'm talking about Lonestar cleans...... actually the F-50/100 was the "model" for the Lonestar cleans

I only say that because of my gear habits! I'm very excited for this amp though. I'm gonna TRY to not sell it and just stick to writing and playing. :)

-Joe

Well I just got her in today and have been playing it for a bit before band practice. Initial impressions:

-Way less compression than I'm used to. I'd say on par with a Recto, but it gets better as the volume increases.
-Clean is awesome.
-Sounds huge!

Not sure if it is for me honestly. I'm gonna save my final opinion for after I get to crank the hell outta her, but for now it's a "cool" amp to me.

-Joe

Back