SD Antiquities/ Seth Lovers

boost

Anyone here using SD Antiquities, Seth Lovers or any other similar unpotted pickups with a high gain boosted Marshall? I am curious if anyone has squealing or feedback issues with them. Lots of love for them on the TGP, but doubt they are playing them through a Jose style Marshall boosted with an overdrive.

I had Seths but they were in a semi-hollow so not really a fair comparison since the whole guitar would 'howl' at high gain and I don't think that was the pickup's fault. They do sound great.

FWIW, sometimes it can be the nickel cover that is the cause of squeal.

I have Seth Lovers in a PRS Starla. Sounds really good with my Wizards. With gain really high up it squeals a bit. But still sounds awesome.

I have both on Les Paul's. I play through a Friedman Runt 20 and use to play them through a Shiva.

The heaviest stuff I play is Priest and AIC.

Have them in one LP and play a Fortin with uber gain, yes they squeal if you turn your guitar towards the speaker cab at times but not every time. They sound great. The SD set to buy is the Pearly Gates Custom Shop aka BFG Pearly Gates set. Just unreal.

I use a SD antiquity in my Ibanez V with a high gain Fortin Marshall, no issues with micro-phonic feedback

Seth Lovers are some of the best pickups Duncan makes. Keep in mind that antiquities are just degaussed magnets with some aging, and they cost substantially more. You could easily and with $5-10 buy a UOA5 or other kind of degaussed magnet then age the pickup yourself and save a lot of money.

I've used most of the Seymour Duncan models... kind of a pickup whore. I've used Seth Lovers in a Les Paul and in a strat. Both good. I used to have an Engl Screamer and a Shiva 20th, but never had a lot of noise issues at low to moderate volumes. They will get a little noisy depending on the amp, pedals, and how much gain. What you need to check out are the Joe Bonamassa Antiquities. They are awesome and a bit quieter than the Seth Lovers. I've used the Bonamassa with my 1987x and lots of pedals, and it was not anywhere as noisy as some of the vintage PAF clones I've tried.

I ran unpotted BKP Mules with a 5150 III and a Splawn Wuick Rod. No issues with squealing at high volumes as long as you didn't face the cab from 3 feet or less. Love low output pickups. Just be ware that they will gut check your technique. Lol.

Back