share your thoughts on active v.s. passive pickups

cobrahead1030

i know it's been done a million times, but i'm curious to hear from some of you guys

namely what works best for you, and why

here's my take...i don't particularly believe i'm right or that anyone else is wrong, so feel free to disagree

let's try to keep it civil tho :p

i think both have their place...my favorite bridge pickup is the duncan JB; i like it because it's clear sounding, it's got a nice agressive upper-midrange, and it's pretty bright which balances out well with the darker sounding guitars i tend to prefer

i also own guitar with an EMG 81 in the bridge, and another with an 85...they have their place as well

i find that passive pickups let you hear more of the actual guitar than actives do (not that the guitar tone is completely lost with actives by any means...but you don't hear AS MUCH of it) either one can be beneficial depending on how your guitar sounds naturally (unplugged) and how you want it to sound...emg's tend to have THEIR tone heard in a very upfront way, moreso than i think passive pickups do

passives also respond to picking dynamics more and sound less compressed to my ears...the harder/softer i pick the more i hear the result with passives, and not so much with actives...again both can be beneficial, i think passives sound more raw but actives can be more consistent

actives tend to be less noisy and generally don't feed back as much...that's a plus for them all the way

i find that passives react in a different way when you roll back the volume knob, with some amps you can get really cool tones this way; actives tend to just get weak sounding...if you use this technique then it's a big plus for passives, if not then it probably doesn't matter much to you

and possibly the biggest of all...

PASSIVES OFFER MORE VARIETY!!!

between seymour duncan and dimarzio alone there are a ton of passive pickups to choose from to find what works for the individual player...if you like thick, thin, bright, dark, honky, scooped, balanced, high/medium/low output, etc. and every combination of them

not to mention a ton of other companies that put out great stuff

with active pickups you're limited to a few kinda generic EMG models, and a small handful that other companies make (i suppose one could argue that EMG found what worked and stuck with it...i for one would be very interested to hear an 81 or 85 with a few tweaks)

i suppose if you're not sure what you want in a pickup, having less choices can make actives more appealing...for me tho, i like being able to find something that's just what i want or close to it, and everyone has SOME passive pickups they're bound to like

My sound or at least what I try to get is with passive pups. I have a EMG loaded LP and it sounds huge but for lead work and cleaning things up with the guitar volume I just like passive pups.

I dig the JB but the guitar dictates what works best, to me pups are little eq devices :)

there's definitely some truth to that, i tend to gravitate toward guitars that sound a certain way unplugged...because typically they'll give me the sound i want with the JB in there

there are definitely guitars (most alder or basswood body ones) that i most likely would want something else in tho

i definitely agree about them being like little EQ devices...one of the big reasons i think there should be more variety with actives, i'd love to hear what an emg 81 would sound like with more upper-mids to it

sure you could get an eq pedal i guess, but where's the fun in that :oops:

>|<>QBB<
Digital Jams":64326 said:
I dig the JB but the guitar dictates what works best, to me pups are little eq devices :)

Very true!!

I find passives are definitly my thang.. Particularly Seymour Duncans, i really like the Custom Custom, Little 59 and Classic Stacks they make.

I find that passives let the character in my playing and picking technique come through more, whereas actives sound like im picking hard all the time. They have too much compression for my taste!

I think Actives can work better than passives for some things, i have heard some killer tones from country players using the EMG singles in their Teles!

For me, passives all the way for Hard Rock!

I have played guitars that just could not do anything...slam a 81 in the bridge and done......metal guitar :D

My love for maple makes using my fav pup the JB tricky, depends on if the maple is east or western maple. The super heavy dense stuff with rip your fillings out with the JB imo.

>|<>QBB<
MrDan666":ead60 said:
>|<>QBB<

Very true!!

I find passives are definitly my thang.. Particularly Seymour Duncans, i really like the Custom Custom, Little 59 and Classic Stacks they make.

I find that passives let the character in my playing and picking technique come through more, whereas actives sound like im picking hard all the time. They have too much compression for my taste!

I think Actives can work better than passives for some things, i have heard some killer tones from country players using the EMG singles in their Teles!

For me, passives all the way for Hard Rock!

The Custom Custom rocks in a LP type guitar! I like the classic stacks in my SL-1 but they are not very high output, I can't be my normal sloppy self :D

>|<>QBB<
Digital Jams":7a0ab said:
>|<>QBB<

The Custom Custom rocks in a LP type guitar! I like the classic stacks in my SL-1 but they are not very high output, I can't be my normal sloppy self :D

I havent tried the Custom Custom in an LP yet, its in bridge position of my Charvel Soloist thats basically an SL1 with a rosewood board.

If you wana try something really cool, get SD to make you a classic stack thats a bit hotter and punchier.. thats what Doug Aldrich used on his vintage strats and they sound huge for heavy rock and blues playing!

http://youtube.com/watch?v=gyx03co5Bv8

>|<>QBB<
Digital Jams":35a44 said:
I have played guitars that just could not do anything...slam a 81 in the bridge and done......metal guitar :D

My love for maple makes using my fav pup the JB tricky, depends on if the maple is east or western maple. The super heavy dense stuff with rip your fillings out with the JB imo.

i suppose it depends on what the body is made of

to my ears, the super heavy dense maple you speak of when matched with a mahogany body is tone heaven...my old teacher had a tom anderson with that combination and the sound was just beautiful, even unplugged that guitar just sang! it was so crisp yet warm thru the lows and highs

>|<>QBB<
MrDan666":dedbe said:
>|<>QBB<

I havent tried the Custom Custom in an LP yet, its in bridge position of my Charvel Soloist thats basically an SL1 with a rosewood board.

If you wana try something really cool, get SD to make you a classic stack thats a bit hotter and punchier.. thats what Doug Aldrich used on his vintage strats and they sound huge for heavy rock and blues playing!

that was some kickass lead tone right there

the kinda tone i always wished i could get from a strat :neutral:

>|<>QBB<
MrDan666":5cc87 said:
>|<>QBB<

Yeah, I can tell that he has more punch going on in the vid....I would not have guessed CS pups! I want to throw something hotter in that SL-1 but the clean tones esp with the neck and middle pups together are great!

I don't care for actives. To me in most guitars they sound sterile and lifeless, and they ruin most of the tonal characteristics of the guitar. I've played and heard some actives that sounded great in some guitars, but for the most part, I don't like them. Even for high gain tones, I prefer high output passives.

My main preference is somewhere between a PAF and a very hot PAF type of tone. But I like to find pickups that match with a particular guitar. My R8 had Burstbuckers in it, and they sounded like shit. So I tried a Pearly Gates/59 combo and it sounded good. Then I tried a Custom 5 in the bridge and it sounded even better. Then I got a set of hot Voodoo PAF clones (8.7 and 8.1) and it was absolutely magic in that guitar. I usually go through a similar process with most of my guitars until I find the one set of pickups that 'fit' that guitar.

>|<>QBB<
Digital Jams":099da said:
>|<>QBB<

Yeah, I can tell that he has more punch going on in the vid....I would not have guessed CS pups! I want to throw something hotter in that SL-1 but the clean tones esp with the neck and middle pups together are great!

You could get a slightly hotter + punchier Classic stack for the neck, and keep the standard classic stack in the middle. Then when you select neck + middle, you can still get a lush clean sound!

I use the little 59 in the neck of my Charvel, its great for lead playing. It sounds halfway between a singlecoil and a humbucker. Just a little bit thinner sounding than the Duncan 59! For cleans, it sounds great in combination with the middle pickup when the lil 59 is split

>|<>QBB<
MrDan666":b5488 said:
>|<>QBB<

You could get a slightly hotter + punchier Classic stack for the neck, and keep the standard classic stack in the middle. Then when you select neck + middle, you can still get a lush clean sound!

I use the little 59 in the neck of my Charvel, its great for lead playing. It sounds halfway between a singlecoil and a humbucker. Just a little bit thinner sounding than the Duncan 59! For cleans, it sounds great in combination with the middle pickup when the lil 59 is split

You know, a lil 59 may just be what I am looking for. I have 59s in my Monaco and GMW on the neck and I like the smooth leads they create.

The EVO2 now........threw that sucker in my 1527 and DAMN :eek: Yeah it is a hot little sucker :D

One thing with the EMGs is that you can plug and play'em. If you dont like the 60, unplug it and plug a 85 in.

Can you do that with passives? I dont think so, but would like that option... (tell me I am wrong here).

I am debating this passive/active thing now as well. I am looking at a Jackson SL2H .......

:liebhab:

Cobra, I think you said almost everythin in the original post..

I know afeter I put the EMGs in my Paul, everyone liked it but me. I tried to get into them, but I just felt they were "squeaky" and too processed/compressed sounding.

Took my V with the stock 500 to practice last night and it just killed.

Not feeling the actives at the moment.

the quick connect system with EMG's is a brilliant idea

i'm quite surprised the big passive companies haven't done something similar yet...would literally own atleast a dozen or two different pickups, if i could just swap them out each time i did a string change

>|<>QBB<
again with this":e95d4 said:
Cobra, I think you said almost everythin in the original post..

I know afeter I put the EMGs in my Paul, everyone liked it but me. I tried to get into them, but I just felt they were "squeaky" and too processed/compressed sounding.

Took my V with the stock 500 to practice last night and it just killed.

Not feeling the actives at the moment.

i went thru that same feeling several times, i would always buy a guitar with EMG's and like it for a while, but the sound would wear on me so i'd sell it off...i had an RG, a jap strat, an ltd 1000 series eclipse, an SG special, and an epi LP...all of which had emg's, and were sold after a few months

finally i just bought a couple nice cheap guitars with EMG's to have as keepers...i don't like them as my main pickup, but there are times when they just sound great to me

>|<>QBB<
cobrahead1030":c873a said:
>|<>QBB<

i went thru that same feeling several times, i would always buy a guitar with EMG's and like it for a while, but the sound would wear on me so i'd sell it off...i had an RG, a jap strat, an ltd 1000 series eclipse, an SG special, and an epi LP...all of which had emg's, and were sold after a few months

finally i just bought a couple nice cheap guitars with EMG's to have as keepers...i don't like them as my main pickup, but there are times when they just sound great to me

You know, that might be the ticket for me. I can't bear to leave the EMGs in my Gibbys, cuz they're my faves... I think the Jackson (still a nice axe, but not my favorite) may be recieving and EMG upgrade...

yeah, the JB is my main pickup...i have it in 3 (soon to be 4) guitars

but when i want something different...i've got one guitar with just an 81 bridge, and another with an 81/85 set that i can swap around at will

Back