Shiva 20th Bliss!!!

battenguitars

I have had my Shiva 20th for a few months now and have never been happier with an amp. I have the OS212 V30 loaded cab. I haven't take the plunge to put in 6550's yet but will do that soon as I understand it is an amazing difference. I love the KT88's but like to experiment with tubes. Any recommendations on which 6550 to try? Also, I am considering buying a Bogner 412...any advice on speakers or cab versions? I wouldn't mind taking the shiva into a little heavier territory. No complaints at all about the low end or level of gain, I am just wondering if a 412 with the right speaker/speaker combination and the addition of the 6550's will make an already wonderful amp even more destructive?

I'd probably start by trying K100's in place of the V30's. Definitely a harder sounding, more modern speaker, with a bigger bottom end. (Although the K100's and KT88s might be total overkill and lack warmth.)

I agree with Nick. I thought I liked K100s but I have to remember that I found them almost too modern or too stiff or something. V30s seem more vintage and smoother to me. Right now I am using WGS ET65/Vet 30s and love it.

battenguitars":1ow5lnsq said:
I have had my Shiva 20th for a few months now and have never been happier with an amp.

Had mine for over two weeks now and it's such a great sounding amp, I'm really happy! And I really and honestly feel no g.a.s. at the moment. Should have gotten the Shiva a long time ago.

I'm wondering about the same questions as you. I actually like the sound of the KT88 tubes but am naturally curious what 6550 will do to the sound. I'm playing through a Diezel 212 RL, but I've been thinking about the Bogner OS 212. I read it makes the cleans sound warm and woody. How about the tightness in the lowend? I'm thinking that the Diezel, a well-built cab in its own right, is tighter and thus a good match for the Shiva's lowend. So unless I can compare both cabs side by side, I'm a bit hesitant to give up the Diezel. It sounds great with the Shiva!

Anyway, I've been considering simply getting a Bogner 412 to have the best of both worlds. This is even though I said I'd never buy a 412 again (small spaces, transport, not really needed live etc.). But I guess I need to find out if the Bogner cabs are different/better than what I currently have. I understand that they project well ("3D") and make your sound big and juicy. This is from countless posts I've read.

If you get new tubes or a Bogner cab, it would be great to hear how you like it with your Shiva.

sombersoul":2d7elzq6 said:
battenguitars":2d7elzq6 said:
I have had my Shiva 20th for a few months now and have never been happier with an amp.

Had mine for over two weeks now and it's such a great sounding amp, I'm really happy! And I really and honestly feel no g.a.s. at the moment. Should have gotten the Shiva a long time ago.

I'm wondering about the same questions as you. I actually like the sound of the KT88 tubes but am naturally curious what 6550 will do to the sound. I'm playing through a Diezel 212 RL, but I've been thinking about the Bogner OS 212. I read it makes the cleans sound warm and woody. How about the tightness in the lowend? I'm thinking that the Diezel, a well-built cab in its own right, is tighter and thus a good match for the Shiva's lowend. So unless I can compare both cabs side by side, I'm a bit hesitant to give up the Diezel. It sounds great with the Shiva!

Anyway, I've been considering simply getting a Bogner 412 to have the best of both worlds. This is even though I said I'd never buy a 412 again (small spaces, transport, not really needed live etc.). But I guess I need to find out if the Bogner cabs are different/better than what I currently have. I understand that they project well ("3D") and make your sound big and juicy. This is from countless posts I've read.

If you get new tubes or a Bogner cab, it would be great to hear how you like it with your Shiva.
Mo calls me the Shiva pimp. Now you know why :LOL: :LOL: 6550's sound great in the amp.

glip22":3oump1nc said:
Mo calls me the Shiva pimp. Now you know why :LOL: :LOL: 6550's sound great in the amp.

What exactly do they change about the sound compared to the KT88s?

I just wanted to add that I think the 20th Shiva's distortion sounds terrific recorded with a room mic (a Zoom H2, in my case).

sombersoul":17gby7mf said:
glip22":17gby7mf said:

What exactly do they change about the sound compared to the KT88s?

I just wanted to add that I think the 20th Shiva's distortion sounds terrific recorded with a room mic (a Zoom H2, in my case).
Gives the tone a little more of an el34 vibe. Takes away the small amount of glassiness you have with the 88's. Makes the tone creamier and a little richer. Better harmonics as well.

Back