Shootout - Soldano SLO-100 vs Mesa Boogie Tremoverb

To be honest the overall sound in the recording came off very bright, harsh and kind of thin to me. I don't know if it's the way it was recorded or the settings. Maybe it's different with your SLO (mine is a 1989), but I have the presence dimed and then anything above 9 o'clock on the treble is just way too much and I am one that leans much more toward brighter tones. I'm also a novice at recording myself, so take my 2 cents fwiw

To be honest the overall sound in the recording came off very bright, harsh and kind of thin to me. I don't know if it's the way it was recorded or the settings. Maybe it's different with your SLO (mine is a 1989), but I have the presence dimed and then anything above 9 o'clock on the treble is just way too much and I am one that leans much more toward brighter tones. I'm also a novice at recording myself, so take my 2 cents fwiw

Totally fair call!
I think have the cab speakers blasting the Iphone front on isn't a great idea haha

Totally fair call!
I think have the cab speakers blasting the Iphone front on isn't a great idea haha
Possibly. I don’t really know anything about how to record with iPhone’s best, but whenever I’ve used my iPhone it tends to usually sound balanced, maybe just a little dark leaning, which isn’t bad, but my issue is always the lack of detail in the sound

Both sounded great to my ears. As much as I can mentally interpolate from a random iPhone recording.

I hear a bit more sizzle from the SLO. My comments not meant to be dogmatically annoying (none of us hear the same obviously).

All these years never played through the Mesa Tremoverb, or even a Dual Rectifier as popular as they are. Suppose I should before I die (at 64 that could be anytime).

My son gets my 2 SLO's and my Wizards though when I die ;)

Possibly. I don’t really know anything about how to record with iPhone’s best, but whenever I’ve used my iPhone it tends to usually sound balanced, maybe just a little dark leaning, which isn’t bad, but my issue is always the lack of detail in the sound

Yep, good points.
One of these days I'll work out how to properly capture an amp either through a mic or TwoNotes or something like that. Just gotta get off my ass and do it haha

Both sounded great to my ears. As much as I can mentally interpolate from a random iPhone recording.

I hear a bit more sizzle from the SLO. My comments not meant to be dogmatically annoying (none of us hear the same obviously).

All these years never played through the Mesa Tremoverb, or even a Dual Rectifier as popular as they are. Suppose I should before I die (at 64 that could be anytime).

My son gets my 2 SLO's and my Wizards though when I die ;)

I was pretty close to selling the Tremoverb, but it's different enough I think to warrant hanging onto it. It's a great amp for sure.

Back