Simulated Acoustic sound/Clean Tones - Cemetary Gates

tonmazz

Sorry for all the advice seeking lately buy i am finally actually gigging and it is amazing how many things you come across that you have to tackle in doing such a variety of songs. I play a one trick pony Jose modded Marshall and a Les paul with Detroiter pick ups. Is there any pedal or effect that can help me get to a clean sound when I roll back volume to do the beginning of Cemetary gates. I tinkered with my GT10 and nothing great coming out. Hoping there is some magic out there. Any suggestions on what you guys are doing to acheive this, rememeber I have no clean channel and am not going to have one any time soon so have to work with what I have. Thanks.

effects loop?

honestly when i play cemetery gates i just use a clean/bright dialed in tone to simulate the dime solid state clean attitude. no effects other than a touch of chorus maybe - not even reverb.

If you do have an effects loop, i would run a guitar AB pedal, B would be your "clean" channel, A would go to the front of your amp as normal. It would go like this:

guitar --> ABY --> volume pedal --> boss acoustic stomp simulator --> effects return

if you want lead, stomp on the ABY. Just know you lose all tone control capabilities of the amp doing this so if you want EQ you will have to include a boss EQ or something similar in the chain.

If you dont have an effects loop i would do this:

guitar --> buffer --> on/off stomp guitar volume pot --> clean boost/buffer --> acoustic simulator pedal --> front of amp.

put the buffer, volume pot stomp, clean boost, and acoustic simulator all in a single loop on a pedal board and turn on/off the loop.

since you're rolling off alot of volume doing it this way the buffers and clean boost will gain that back for you, keep down on noise, and also make it sound more even.

Thats what i would do in your case. I have alot of tricks up my sleeve for one channel amps, i used a single channel GH100TI for 2 weeks once doing ozzy covers so i can relate :LOL: :LOL: :rock:

GLPG80

Holy shit dude, that is fucking awesome!! Thanks a bunch, that gives me a shit load of things to try. I do have a loop but I will need to experiment as I have things already in. Great advice thanks. As for you 232cap, you know I will never buy a two channel amp! :LOL: :LOL:

Hell yeah dude go for it!!!!!! I love playing that song BTW - song has alot of places to put some serious feeling into it, just fun to play :rock:

One thing you might want to watch out for is on your effects loop - sometimes when a cable is plugged into the effects return the entire preamp is bypassed all together at all times whether the loop is on or off itself, so you may have some experimenting ahead of you. It really depends on the loop design and amplifier design.

Happy riffing :rock:

glpg80":2jm4h7vh said:
Hell yeah dude go for it!!!!!! I love playing that song BTW - song has alot of places to put some serious feeling into it, just fun to play :rock:

One thing you might want to watch out for is on your effects loop - sometimes when a cable is plugged into the effects return the entire preamp is bypassed all together at all times whether the loop is on or off itself, so you may have some experimenting ahead of you. It really depends on the loop design and amplifier design.

Happy riffing :rock:

Thanks again, like you said I do have to experiment. I used my GT10 to get a killer chunky Dime tone for the heavy part. We also do Cowboys From Hell and it was lacking the punch, not anymore. Think I have that part covered, now to get that nice clean without lugging an acoustic rig onstage. :thumbsup:

See if A HBE Paul Gilbert Detox will work with your set up. I use it with a Deliverance to get cleans. Listen to his you tube pedal vids and he shows how he uses it with cranked Marshall VM to get cleans.

MrHiwatt

Got a Series FX Loop? If so, run the GT-10 with the 4 cable method.

Hook it up and then when you need the clean sounds, you can bypass the preamp section of your Marshall and use the GT-10 as a preamp for all the clean sounds. Pretty sure the GT-10 has some killer clean settings when you tweak it right, i always had great results back when i used the GT-8.

glpg80":2z94dtn6 said:
effects loop?

honestly when i play cemetery gates i just use a clean/bright dialed in tone to simulate the dime solid state clean attitude. no effects other than a touch of chorus maybe - not even reverb.

If you do have an effects loop, i would run a guitar AB pedal, B would be your "clean" channel, A would go to the front of your amp as normal. It would go like this:

guitar --> ABY --> volume pedal --> boss acoustic stomp simulator --> effects return

if you want lead, stomp on the ABY. Just know you lose all tone control capabilities of the amp doing this so if you want EQ you will have to include a boss EQ or something similar in the chain.

:

This is intriguing. Not sure how I could get it to work with my setup tho. Relevant to the OP I think.

I have a small pboard I run in the loop only - it has a tuner, decimator, chorus, delay and couple of EQs. I want these fx for my dirt channel also. So,...

guitar -> AB switch out of A into front of amp (no probs)
but how would the routing go for FX loop? Normally I am running amp loop send to my pboard then output of pboard to loop return. How could I get my guitar signal straight to the input pf my pboard? Guessing I will need some other 2 input box at the front of my pboard so I could have both my loop send and the output of B (from AB switch) sent through my pboatd. Is this about right? What device would I need there? Or am I off the mark?

Back