Single Channel Build Progress

CrazyNutz":y4b2lx3h said:
Nice! Is this going to fit in a standard bigbox head shell? Looks like you have all the controls packed together to pull this off.
Yes. Standard Headshell. I have some black piping on the way to replace the gold to black it out. No drilling required. These Valvestorm project chassis are great for everything I’ve built so far

scottosan":27ymrop9 said:
CrazyNutz":27ymrop9 said:
Nice! Is this going to fit in a standard bigbox head shell? Looks like you have all the controls packed together to pull this off.
Yes. Standard Headshell. I have some black piping on the way to replace the gold to black it out. No drilling required. These Valvestorm project chassis are great for everything I’ve built so far

Awesome, was just going to ask if that was another Valvestorm project chassis :LOL: :LOL:

scottosan":90rj3mcx said:
CrazyNutz":90rj3mcx said:

Man that's going to look rad :rock:

I might have to borrow your face plate design, for my 20w version of this. I'll be using a shorter chassis, since my buddy has a few small box head shells i'll probably be using.

Literally just got done with this. Been hard having to cater to family and get some alone time to work on the amp. Good news, no smoke, no boom. I did a quick function biased my old tubes while waiting for a new set. Had to keep it real short and edit out the wife yelling at me in the background :D I'll get some better clips this week.

first part in low gain voicing for clean then rolled up and switch voicing to full gain. For clipping, using mid gain clipping

IMG_3557.JPG

IMG_3558.jpg

technomancer":3ombpf47 said:
Looks and sounds great! Sorry if I missed it but which loop did you go with?
I used a loop sold by “Joey Voltage” on Sloclone forums. He charges like $45 if I recall. Very high quality loop. Can even be set up for parallel

FourT6and2":2rli3x20 said:
I dig it. Sounds great. I think better than the previous two builds.

How you liking the MPWs?
Honestly I think this amp sounds extremely similar than the other one. The clips I have of the previous CCV clone were befor I changed it to ore prod specs. I never got clips afterwards. The caps again sound very similar to the WIMA probably due to the polypropylene constrcution

I also think it's better than the previous clips.

btw, do u feel the difference between the trannies?
(Iirc the previous one has classictone and now mm. )

idnotbe":1cc2ywt5 said:
I also think it's better than the previous clips.

btw, do u feel the difference between the trannies?
(Iirc the previous one has classictone and now mm. )
Before this I alway thought the MM has more low end, but the Classictone more clear. The only thing difference outside of the trasnformers in the filtering. THe last one had 220uf's and 33ufs in the pre. This one has 180uf and 22ufs in the pre. And still as much lowend. I thing with this combination they are extremely close now. I still think the Classic tones are just a hair brighter.

I just wanted to give a heads up on some caps from Western Florida Components. They have a 22uf cap that in my opinion is awesome. You typical cap is 2000 life. These are audio caps and rather between 15000 and 50000 based on temperature on voltage us. $3.00 each. The ones I ordered all tested within 10% and closed matched

https://www.westfloridacomponents.com/K ... 26-Q1.html

22uF 450V Axial Lead Electrolytic Capacitors by Epcos/TDK

Applications:
Electronic ballasts
Audio (Hi-Fi)

Features:
Extremely long useful life
Very high ripple current capability
Very high voltage capability

500 V DC/105 °C/10000 hours

Outstanding performance

Rated Voltage: 450VDC
Surge Voltage: 550VDC at 105 C; 500V at 85 C

Amp looks awesome :rock:

Those EPCOS caps look interesting as well thanks for pointing them out.

scottosan":23emij78 said:
technomancer":23emij78 said:
I used a loop sold by “Joey Voltage” on Sloclone forums. He charges like $45 if I recall. Very high quality loop. Can even be set up for parallel

Cool I've seen the threads on it over there.

technomancer":xhee5kwj said:

scottosan":xhee5kwj said:
technomancer":xhee5kwj said:

A few gotcha;s with it. It's physically larger. I couldn;t use it in my BE100 build becuaus it was up against my main board. The send and return are also flipped from the Metro board thus, you see I have the board mounted upside down to match
my board template

scottosan":3dwtzk4q said:
technomancer":3dwtzk4q said:

scottosan":3dwtzk4q said:
technomancer":3dwtzk4q said:

A few gotcha;s with it. It's physically larger. I couldn;t use it in my BE100 build becuaus it was up against my main board. The send and return are also flipped, thus, you see I have the board mounted upside down.

Got you. I still need to figure out all the connections using the board I have for the BE clone and will probably use a metro loop with that one. Got a cold that has thrown a real wrench into soldering anything lately...

Yeah, Epcos caps are great. I wish they made a dual axial 50+50/500v and axial 10uF for the bias sections. But they're a modern company and axials are so old fashioned. Hell if they made dual radials for filtering that'd rock too.

Back