Single pedals vs. multi fx unit

mysticaxe

I'm looking at one of my Marshall rig and having a little debate with myself about my time based effects (in the loop). Basically, all I use is delay (preferably something with a ducker), a little verb, occasionally a little chorus, and would like to be able to do a detune for solos.

Option 1:
TC Electronics Flashback delay, Some verb pedal (maybe the TC Hall of Fame or a boss one), the Boss pitch shifter (Ps6), and maybe a chorus pedal - looks like it would cost about $500-$600.

Option 2:
Nova System at the $500 price point (I wouldn't use the drive part of the box) or GMajor II (I already have an FCB1010, but that would be overkill for what I would use the GMII for).

Option 3:
Something else... Keep the total cost around $500.

well, honestly those pedals are abit expensive......I sure you can build a very good sounding pedalboard for 300 -400 dollars.

Same with the multi fx..... I've heard great things about the M9 and it costs less than 500

M9 all the way, probably find one used for cheaper than that, can do all the things you stated in a pretty good way (a cheap expression pedal to add even more functions)

in a band mix you won't really notice it too much, but for me i still prefer a separate analog delay to the line6 offerings on the m9, but for the sheer flexibility and amount of effects on tap you can't go wrong, i could honestly get by with just the m9 in the loop and a separate tuner/boost in front of the amp, great little device, it's been a mainstay on my board for the past year or so now, even contemplated getting a second one recently for another board

if you have a FCB 1010 already you could look into some used rack units, that might actually be the cheapest option

for me i think for ease of use and on the fly tweakability the M9 will serve you best

i was contemplating some kind of rack unit for effects and picking up another fcb1010, but i like some of the unique features of pedals too much, (a bunch of the boss pedals or ehx pedals you can't imitate with rack gear)

something straight forward on a pedal (say the hold function on a dd-6) would take a lot of more programming on a rack unit, admittedly once it's all setup you're good to go, but i like to see things at my feet

For the effects you mention, save a few bucks and grab an Intellifex...still one of the best sounding units out there for delay, chorus, and reverb IMO.

What are the differences between the different Intelliflex units? Is there one to get or one to avoid?

I used to have a Quadraverb that was pretty cool, but like a fool, I sold it...

I had a Nova system and I had to sell it... even with it dialed in as transparent as it would go, it still colored the tone of my bogner enough for me to let it go... also, the way the functionality of the buttons work, it just wasn't as player intuitive (for me). I think I'm going to try a quadraverb myself (once I find one), or maybe get another g-force. The g-force isn't totally transparent itself either, but it is a little more player intuitive.

mysticaxe":3fmmxh7f said:
What are the differences between the different Intelliflex units? Is there one to get or one to avoid?

I used to have a Quadraverb that was pretty cool, but like a fool, I sold it...

I had the quadraverb 2 in the past. you were no fool to sell it. Them things were so damn noisy and negatively effected your tone. I never looked back on those POS.

The Gmajors and Intelliflex are much better units.

So, I'm in the process of getting a Sig-X. It looks like I could use the Nova System (with an Amp Gizmo) to control the Sig-X too...
The m9 looks like it might be able to do a similar job with the amp gizmo.

That seems attractive. One thing I don't like about the FCB1010 is how huge it is. I'm looking for compact and simple (to set up/move around).

The Nova system rig sounds like it would be Tuner - wah - phaser - SigX - Nova (in the loop)...

mysticaxe":1b6xvwp5 said:
So, I'm in the process of getting a Sig-X. It looks like I could use the Nova System (with an Amp Gizmo) to control the Sig-X too...
The m9 looks like it might be able to do a similar job with the amp gizmo.

That seems attractive. One thing I don't like about the FCB1010 is how huge it is. I'm looking for compact and simple (to set up/move around).

The Nova system rig sounds like it would be Tuner - wah - phaser - SigX - Nova (in the loop)...

i just got a sig:x recently too, building a second pedalboard for it =0

the previous owner used an amp gizmo or something to change the channels as well as a g major2 in the loop for effects, i looked into the nova system as well, but i think i'll be going for a EHX cathedral + a delay instead, as i have a bunch of pedals lying around still

the thing that annoys me with the nova system is that there's no 4cm, it probably sounds great in the loop, but you then loose the boost/comp/drive units , well the boost can be a nice solo/volume boost, but you still lose 2-3 effect blocks, and essentially two buttons that do nothing

and apparantely the nova system stuff turns on 'on release' of the buttons, not when you press them... that might take a while to get used to

university81":2h2lyfrt said:
the thing that annoys me with the nova system is that there's no 4cm, it probably sounds great in the loop, but you then loose the boost/comp/drive units , well the boost can be a nice solo/volume boost, but you still lose 2-3 effect blocks, and essentially two buttons that do nothing
The boost and compressor still work in the loop. I prefer the boost there actually. I prefer a compressor out front, but I still use I for some stuff in the loop. I'm pretty happy all in all with the NS working the loop. I have a few od's that I do run before the amp.

If you want a G-Major, I have one that I'm getting ready to move. PM me if you are interested.

She's a fox.... I have a Gmajor 2. I like it but lately, I hate having to manually hit presets on the thing. I would like something on the floor some days. Would like to try an intelliflex as well. I find the TC electronic shaves some of my top end.

SFW":3kq1wtx9 said:
If you want a G-Major, I have one that I'm getting ready to move. PM me if you are interested.

Sorry, I was distracted for a second and it took me a little while to process your post... :shocked:

I think I have to figure out which direction I want to go. G Major means I still have to have a rack set up, and a midi board, and my wah, phaser and tuner at my feet. I guess I'm trying to figure out whether the Nova System (or M9/M13) can do the G Major sounds. The M9 is very real estate friendly...

dangles":3s23p793 said:
not to derail this thread...

SFW, who is that in that GIF? I can't stop watching it!!!! :D

I don't know.... but she makes me happy. ;)

Back