SL2 Questions

gtr31

I had a question I was hoping someone could answer about mods .
Jeff I had sent you a PM about it .
But I thought id ask it here .
I currently have the Vendetta and will be ordering the Mod 50 in the next little while .For clean i would use the TW/D.
For my high gain sound I was intrested in the SL2 .I would probably use the B channel for my rythm .
The question is it possible to Mate the SL2 eq to the MHG gain structure.
Basically i want the voice of the Sl2 .with the Higher gain, Attack and Extra low end of an MHG. Or another option maybe the SL2 b channel with a slightly hotter lead tone .
Thanks Man

Well I have both and it sounds like you should go with the MHG. With both modules having everything at 12 o'clock - switching back and forth - the differences are minimal - at least to me. Once you push the eq's and gain's on the modules to tweak your sound then they start to differ and you can see where the sweet spot for each one is. However I find that for high gain stuff there is quite a bit of cross over (overlap in sounds) between the two modules - as opposed to the ERECT module which really does have some very different sonic characteristics right out of the gate. So go with MHG and you won't be dissappointed. I like both but lean towards using the SL2 since I don't need all the extra gain and like a more vintage sound.

I think its really a perception issue rather than a lack of gain issue. I have both SL2 and MHG and it definitely sounds like SL2 has much less gain but Im not so sure thats the case. I think what we are saying as less gain is really less compression and more mids. The SL2 is just bigger and more open sounding. The MHG is fierce and thick because it has all gain falling on top of itself, if that makes any sense.

So, I dont think you want an SL2 modded to MHG tone stack. I think you just want an MHG.

-Matt

Sorry for the delay been on a needed break! Ya I agree..the MHG is where you will get the vibe you are looking for!

Just wondering - can the MHG do a vintage sound with the gain rolled back?

I'm looking for a sound similar to Iommi's Laney or something like The Sword which seems to have a bit more low end. However, I do want to use the module for a high gain Marshall flavor as well. I'd already decided on the SL2 but this thread is giving me some doubts.

Not MHG tone stack ..the other way around the MHG WITHOUT the scoop and more of the SL2,s upper mid snarl and cut .

Can that be done .

Reason why is i dig the Hot channel of the SL2 BUT would use that for my rythm and would like a slightly tweaked lead channel on the B

MHG is not a scooped sounding midrange. Of course you can roll off the mids and scoop the tone - but out of the gate it is a very full and thick sounding distortion.

I should just post some clips or videos. Will try to get to that this week.

Also - I am playing through EL34's which affect the tone significantly. Great thing about Egnater stuff is - you can change the tubes pretty easily and voila - brand new tone. 5881's sound different than EL34's which sound WAY different than EL84's etc... ad nauseum. :doh:

ahh Yes true enough on the power tubes my Vendetta does that and I use Gt34's in it

It sounds like the MHG is similar to the SL2 except with more gain a bit more modern take . .Basically I prefer Upper mids as opposed to lower mids .for my Rythm tone .

I would take a Soldano over a Bogner ,
and an HK over a Recto .

My max gain level is about 5 on a soldano or 5150 lead channel .so I like the higher gain .but certainly wont open it up im more Scorpions, Skid Row, whitesnake schooled ..

I am the opposite, I prefer low mids, deep, dark, smooth and thick. The only H&K I have like dis the Swithcblade because it seems they voiced it darker and more lower mids. I find that smoother and I enjoy playing that voicing more than super high mids like the triamp.

Anyway, I found a used MOD50 with midi board and the MHG/Bassman for $1900. Not sure how much these are new lately but I think the wait is 4 months. I am still considering a used Egnater TOL since I hear they are amazing! Also still want to spend time with a Mesa Roadster and want to check out the new VHT SIG X which is apparently not as sterile as their other heads like the UL which was not to my liking.

My biggest concern with the MOD 50 is finding the right power tubes to get great clean and high gain. Maybe 6v6s or something. One thing about H&K is they found a way to get amazing cleans with EL34s.

Back