SM57 or e609

Get the E906, not the 609. It's a really versatile and great sounding mic for guitar cabs. IMO the 609 sounds harsh, but not in a cool way like the SM57. If I was to choose strictly between 57 and 609, I would choose the 57.
With the 906 you can get the "harsher" 609 sound, the standard "57 like" middle sound or a nice smooth and full tone, which reminds me of a multi mic'd cab. Really worth the extra money.

I have both, I prefer the 57. As was said, the 609 sounds harsh. I dont really like them together either :aww: I have not used it in a couple of years :scared:

For just one mic the SM57. The SM57 also mixes well with other mics in general. I like to mix it with an EV N/D468.

It mainly depends on what amp you're going to be recording and what your mic preamp sounds like. Although I really like the SM57 for most things, it's not the answer for everything. I hate it on a Soldano SLO or a VHT Ultra-Lead, as I would much rather use a Sennheiser on those for high gain.

sm57 is always good. Another alternative I prefer over the 57 is the heil pr 20. Smoother and bigger sounding than the 57.

dass101":350tmmpb said:
Get the E906, not the 609. It's a really versatile and great sounding mic for guitar cabs. IMO the 609 sounds harsh, but not in a cool way like the SM57. If I was to choose strictly between 57 and 609, I would choose the 57.
With the 906 you can get the "harsher" 609 sound, the standard "57 like" middle sound or a nice smooth and full tone, which reminds me of a multi mic'd cab. Really worth the extra money.

+1

Either can do the job well, but I prefer the e609 to the sm57. It has a flatter response and more natural sound than the 57. But mic placement is more important than which mic you use, IME.

Anyone use the sennheiser MD 421? I just got one of those to try with my sm57, but have not had a chance to use it yet.

JonVengeance":34hbjp5j said:
Anyone use the sennheiser MD 421? I just got one of those to try with my sm57, but have not had a chance to use it yet.

i think you are gonna love it.

the sm57 and md421 is a rock and roll classic.

I traded my 57 for a 609 and never looked back. I always had problems with the 57 being overly harsh. The 609 tamed that, and was pretty much perfect for me. Really easy to place too...basically just throw it up in font of the cab and I was good to go.

I know you didn't ask about it, but the Audix I5, IMO, really smokes those two. Not even close. If you are dead set on buying a 57 or E906, I have both for sale ATM. But as your friend I say don't buy them. Whatever.

JonVengeance":1qcqs3vf said:
That was my favorite combo until I paired it with a Royer R121 ;)
I still use that combo most of the time, the Royer was borrowed :cry:

fuzzyguitars":qhc4veqc said:
JonVengeance":qhc4veqc said:

i think you are gonna love it.

the sm57 and md421 is a rock and roll classic.

+1, it's a great combo.

Back