Smallest Egnater Amp

bscfo1

I'm looking for a portable on the go rig. I thought I saw a picture of a one module Egnater amp. Did I dream this?

That's it - I couldn't remember the name and there's only a couple of pictures of it online. Egnater does mention it in the February update on the webpage, but there's no details. It looks cool but I was hoping for a one module on the go mini rig. I wonder why they didn't do that first? -Thanks Adam.

bscfo1":29wrwnto said:
That's it - I couldn't remember the name and there's only a couple of pictures of it online. Egnater does mention it in the February update on the webpage, but there's no details. It looks cool but I was hoping for a one module on the go mini rig. I wonder why they didn't do that first? -Thanks Adam.

the rebel was designed for selling in the guitar center stores. guitar center / musicians friend does not have the rights to sell any of their "modularized" amps or modules. the rebel / tourmaster series are amps that are designed by egnater but assembled in China to Egnater's specs (no using shotty parts).

i don't think there is that much of a need for a 1-channel module head or cab, because most players would want something 2-channel. (need clean and dirty!) secondly, you can use the egnater modules in single channel mode in the Randall amps, so if you need a 1-channel head or combo, then go for the RM20.

I would image the guys at Egnater want to keep the line small and nimble so they can work to shorten the lead times on their amps and rack preamps. Having to stock parts for more lines will only increase costs to us, which they are doing a great job of keeping the costs as low as possible.

just my $.02.

eric

That makes sense Eric, but I actually could use my Vox module for just about anything clean and dirty. Bassman too. So there you go - two channels. The Rebel is truly a one channel amp. The point is, I'm looking for a portable rig, not a stage rig so one module would be fine for me.

If you think people wouldn't waste their money on a one module portable amp with two channels, then the Rebel wouldn't sell. We all know that's not true. Lots of people play one channel amps. Van Halen only used channel two on his new EVH amp all night.

bscfo1":ezyhccwr said:
That makes sense Eric, but I actually could use my Vox module for just about anything clean and dirty. Bassman too. So there you go - two channels. The Rebel is truly a one channel amp. The point is, I'm looking for a portable rig, not a stage rig so one module would be fine for me.

If you think people wouldn't waste their money on a one module portable amp with two channels, then the Rebel wouldn't sell. We all know that's not true. Lots of people play one channel amps. Van Halen only used channel two on his new EVH amp all night.

I agree with you, but from a marketing standpoint, most people are wanting to take at least 2 modules with them. The rebel goes into a different market than something of the modularized amps. If you look at Guitar center's target market, the tourmaster covers the market where people want a good 3-4 channel amp that has great tone, but is low enough in cost to compete with the likes of Marshall / Mesa / etc. The Rebel fills the void of a 1-channel vintage style amp with a very low cost of entry for great tone. I agree that a one module head / combo is a pretty good idea, its not the target market that makes sense for Egnater's boutique modular line. The Mod50 has had so much success, that most people could get by on nearly every gig w/ 2 modules. The days of a person using one channel amps has passed a fair amount. We all could get by on a gig w/ one or two channels, but given the ability to have more, most of us would choose more!

Like I said before, its just a business decision that Jeff / Frank / Bruce have to make. Their focus is really on the Mod50, and the M4 (with the soon to come M2 - the new 2 module rack) from their boutique amp perspective. Those are the amps / rack preamps that are being made in the USA by those 3 guys. The Guitar Center line is made for a different target audience. Someone that doesn't have the cash to go for the modularized line, and will help get Egnater's name out there even more.

Just my $.02 again ;) for what its worth.

Eric

Good answer - all good points.

Just a question for us modular guys: Would you buy a one module (two channels), portable sized rig (Rebel size) with the ability to go from 1 to 20 watts, that can switch on the fly between 6v6's and EL84's and have an effects loop? I would. I'll post this question and see who bites.

bscfo1":348sf3xe said:

Just a question for us modular guys: Would you buy a one module (two channels), portable sized rig (Rebel size) with the ability to go from 1 to 20 watts, that can switch on the fly between 6v6's and EL84's and have an effects loop? I would. I'll post this question and see who bites.

Only if it was a combo. I would love a small 1x12 that takes 1 module for small gigs. Heck, even a Rebel combo would work for me with an overdrive pedal. Im sorry but for NYC gigs there is no parking and I want to make 1 trip into thje venue with all my shit. That requires a gig bag, and a combo.

EWSEthan":kbq9sqwd said:
bscfo1":kbq9sqwd said:

Only if it was a combo. I would love a small 1x12 that takes 1 module for small gigs. Heck, even a Rebel combo would work for me with an overdrive pedal. Im sorry but for NYC gigs there is no parking and I want to make 1 trip into thje venue with all my shit. That requires a gig bag, and a combo.

I definitely see your point there man! It must be friggin hard to gig in NYC!

Eric

Yeah because if I have to carry a head and cab anyway, why not just use my MOD 50? For city gigs, I end up borrowing a 1x12 from someone and using an overdrive pedal. it usually sounds like shit but what are you going to do?

Jeff Hilligan":137cdvo7 said:
Wussy! So it has to be a combo? Either in the rebel format or modular to be desirable?

I personally say Rebel head format because I hate combos. I'd rather be able to pick if it was closed back or open back depending on my cab. But that's me ;).

Eric

The RM20 head (or combo format) with dual channel capability will be fine thanks..oh black/tan colours would be the icing on the cake too :D

My take is this..it looks cool sounds like shit...looks bad sounds great...Open back combos at low or high power sound terrible. Sealed back is where its at...now the box is big and funny looking..ala the Badger combo. This will be a tuff nut to decide on. I have put this on Frank and his design strenghts...our stuff looks awesome I have trust in him! Single module with switchable power tubes like the rebel or just straight up one power section?

Jeff,

You make it - I'll buy it.............promise. Make the power section switchable so you can match the American and British type modules with them. For the cabinet, how about a closed back one in the same dimensions as the Bogner 1x12 Cube for that pretty head of tan and black to sit on. Pretty and practical!

Jeff Hilligan":1q45m1lg said:
My take is this..it looks cool sounds like shit...looks bad sounds great...Open back combos at low or high power sound terrible. Sealed back is where its at...now the box is big and funny looking..ala the Badger combo. This will be a tuff nut to decide on. I have put this on Frank and his design strenghts...our stuff looks awesome I have trust in him! Single module with switchable power tubes like the rebel or just straight up one power section?

If you only have 1 module slot I dont think you need to switch power tubes. Its rare that you have a module that is based on two different amps.

EWSEthan":8tv23zep said:
Jeff Hilligan":8tv23zep said:

If you only have 1 module slot I dont think you need to switch power tubes. Its rare that you have a module that is based on two different amps.

Ya the next request will be twin on A and SL2 on B..Cant happen two different boards and designs. One module, one power section with variable power.

Back