So how much difference is there between the EG5 and MHG?

bduersch

I guess the subject line says it all... how different are the Egnater MHG and EG5 modules? Or put another way, if already own one, is it worth picking up the other?

--B

I've had them both at the same time.

IMO, the MHG is much darker and "rounder" in tonality. The EG5 has that 80's hair metal / SLO tone to it, with a real sizzle in the high end.

Personally, I don't play metal anymore. I found that for my current purposes, the MHG produced a really round, fat and warm lead tone - which was great when I used it with one of my Strats. I used the EG5 for higher gain rhythm tones. The EG5 could be used for lead tones but, again, there will be lots of sizzle in your tone (which a lot of players don't like for their lead tone).

These modules are NOT the same animal by any means.

FWIW, I have an EG5 for sale right now in the Egnater forum and Classifieds here on Rig-Talk....... :LOL: :LOL:

viewtopic.php?f=26&t=81649

I've not had the MHG module, but to add on to what rlord said, The EG5 does have lots of "sizzle" to it. For me, the module kind of works backwards. I actually like channel A better for higher gain lead sounds. It seems to have more of an emphasis in the mids, which helps it cut a little better, while channel B is slightly scooped, at least to my ears. Also, the EG5 has plenty of high end on tap, so I typically run the treble around 9:00 or 10:00, depending on the guitar and vibe I'm going for at the time. IT keeps the module super tight for a more modern, heavy chug-fest kind of sound. Works great with 7 strings and drop tunes guitars btw.

$.02

I would describe them like this:
MHG Strong Lower mids emphasis, rounder, darker.
EG5 Strong Upper Mids emphasis, bright top, compressed

Fwiw to the guys with EG5, I modded mine to tame some of the overt sizzle on the top end. Kinda like a presence reducer. I installed a 1000uF/500v cap @ C2 on the tube board. You can try different values as well to tweak to taste. Smaller value, more sizzle. Doing this allows you to bring up the treble control some which really on this module is a high mid control. Anyway, quick 5 minute mod that is easy to change or reverse. I like the EG5 much more this way.

Back