So I used a Soldano Hot Rod 50 at band practice tonight

D/FW XJ'er

We were practicing at a friend's space and he told me there wasn't any room to bring our amps. (not that I was complaining about NOT having to lug amps :LOL: :LOL: )

So I plugged my SG into my OCD and into his Hot Rod 50.

It definitely has that Soldano sizzle, because I had to turn the treble down more than I was used to. My EQ'ing reminded me of how I dial in the JCM900. Obviously this sounded different, and by different I mean it had a ton of low end. Combined with the OCD set to very low gain, I could get some great controlled feedback, and the tone was really "meaty" for lack of a better word. Also it was fairly tight, without too much give. I'm used to my Fenders that sag quite a bit. I love that feel, so the Soldano was a bit too stiff for me.

Overall, it was a pretty nice amp, and I had it dialed in with a very usable tone within minutes. I think my Concert would keep up with it no problem, however the Jubilee would rip it to shreds. :D

D/FW XJ'er":1y9rp97c said:
We were practicing at a friend's space and he told me there wasn't any room to bring our amps. (not that I was complaining about NOT having to lug amps :LOL: :LOL: )

It definitely has that Soldano sizzle, because I had to turn the treble down more than I was used to. My EQ'ing reminded me of how I dial in the JCM900. Obviously this sounded different, and by different I mean it had a ton of low end. Combined with the OCD set to very low gain, I could get some great controlled feedback, and the tone was really "meaty" for lack of a better word. Also it was fairly tight, without too much give. I'm used to my Fenders that sag quite a bit. I love that feel, so the Soldano was a bit too stiff for me.

Overall, it was a pretty nice amp, and I had it dialed in with a very usable tone within minutes. I think my Concert would keep up with it no problem, however the Jubilee would rip it to shreds. :D

I'm a lazy bastard, I would jump at any chance not to have to lug my amp :LOL: :LOL:

Shiny_Surface":l980lxw7 said:
D/FW XJ'er":l980lxw7 said:

I'm a lazy bastard, I would jump at any chance not to have to lug my amp :LOL: :LOL:

LOL I hear that. I didn't even find out the Soldano was there until I showed up. I would have been content with a Hot Rod Deville, if it meant I could leave my toys at home. :D

I love it when I try out with a band and they say they have spare mesa's & peavy's & cabs and whatnot to use if I dont want to lug my gear :D

trey85stang":2nkyej88 said:
I love it when I try out with a band and they say they have spare mesa's & peavy's & cabs and whatnot to use if I dont want to lug my gear :D

They had several high end amps. I actually wish I could have used the Germino 2x12 combo they had, but it was buried under some guitar cases, etc.... I didn't feel like digging it out, since it wasn't my stuff anyway.

Back