So if Ed used the neck PAF pickup from his ES335 what magnet did Gibson use in the neck p/u?

My thoughts exactly. Duncans always work for me. The others are just playing catch up…I will never understand this VH thing…blech.
before i landed on the holmes i was team duncan. original pearly gates and vh 78 were the top dawgs for me, but had the jb, custom custom, classic stack, duncan distortion…

rick beato was right... here we are in 2024 still debating and trying to get as close as possible to that sound.:ROFLMAO:
i love it though... and i totally understand.

...now what was the average, standing humidity level in the room he recorded in!? the soundwaves could have been slightly dampened by the moisture in the air causing some of the highs to decay faster than the lows. This is key info to obtaining Eddies tone.

The fact that the two guitars, and the two pickups found therein, couldn’t be more different yet get a very similar sound show the importance of the amp in that equation.

The fact that the two guitars, and the two pickups found therein, couldn’t be more different yet get a very similar sound show the importance of the amp in that equation.
What pickup was in the Ibanez Destroyer in '77 ?

Last edited:
before i landed on the holmes i was team duncan. original pearly gates and vh 78 were the top dawgs for me, but had the jb, custom custom, classic stack, duncan distortion…
I agree the Holmes always seems to catch my ear as well but I did pick up some Arcane Triple clones for an Edwards Les Paul I had but sold the guitar before I installed the Arcanes. From what I hear the guy that owns Arcane trained and worked for Tom Holmes for some time before setting out on his own. Arcane builds all of Luxxtones pickups and other boutique guitars but I don't know who they all are.

Here is a Holmes 455

I was actually surprised at how aggressive and gainy the 7.65Kohm SD59N that Jim Gaustad used in the WACF video. I would have guessed a MM1400 for WACF and so did Jim but he said he ended up with the 7.65K SD59N and it grinds alot like the MM1400 which is 9K with a ceramic magnet.

I think the Holmes all use A2 magnets, where the Ibanez Super 70 has an A8
Yes. If you want a budget Holmes (and they are spectacular pickups) the old Gibson 57 Classic + is wonderful. I've heard the new ones don't sound as good -- they changed the wire evidently -- but I've had one since my AR guy got me one in '89 or so.

I agree the Holmes always seems to catch my ear as well but I did pick up some Arcane Triple clones for an Edwards Les Paul I had but sold the guitar before I installed the Arcanes. From what I hear the guy that owns Arcane trained and worked for Tom Holmes for some time before setting out on his own. Arcane builds all of Luxxtones pickups and other boutique guitars but I don't know who they all are.

Here is a Holmes 455

I was actually surprised at how aggressive and gainy the 7.65Kohm SD59N that Jim Gaustad used in the WACF video. I would have guessed a MM1400 for WACF and so did Jim but he said he ended up with the 7.65K SD59N and it grinds alot like the MM1400 which is 9K with a ceramic magnet.

My Holdsworth has the 59n in it and it's fantastic (with the fender trem).

Yes. If you want a budget Holmes (and they are spectacular pickups) the old Gibson 57 Classic + is wonderful. I've heard the new ones don't sound as good -- they changed the wire evidently -- but I've had one since my AR guy got me one in '89 or so.
I mean, all the boutique winders have their version of a PAF, and the specs are almost all identical.

Here is a Holmes 455

sounds nice and Holmsey!

i heard about the Arcane-Holmes connection back when Rob was making a Landau model and we chatted for a bit. never owned an Arcane but like what i hear.

i installed both the 57 classic and the + in my les paul deluxe. they were ok but much brighter in a harsh way in that guitar. when i ordered my 450 i spoke to Tom about other pickups i’d used and liked. we got to the 57+ and i shared my experience of it being kinda thin and scratchy compared to my duncans. that’s when he revealed that he helped designed the 57/+ for Gibson! oops!

Back