So what power amps are you all using?

Scothron

Putting together my first modular rig, a single channel M4. Initially I was looking into a Carvin TS100 however it seems a lot of people complain about the being sort of flat sounding. The mesa 2 90 2 or the VHT 2 50 were the other I was looking at, but the are pricey!!!!

I used a (discontinued) Randall RT2/50 when I had my M4, but if I were to go that route again, I'd look at the ones below

Peavey Classic 60/60 - has 6L6s, if I'm not mistaken
Peavey Classic 50/50 - uses EL84s
Mesa 20/20
Carvin T100

I've heard the Peaveys are workhorses (as always), and I'd probably pick one of those up first. No real complaints about them and they can be had quite cheaply on the used market.
I've heard good things about the Mesa, and to not worry about it being underpowered due to its size (1U).
I've considered the Carvin before; some love it, some are just 'meh' about it. I've heard that it is 'flat' (i.e. no real character of its own), but that's not necessarily a bad thing.

All that being said, there's supposedly a 1U power amp coming out with the new Synergy stuff.

A friend of mine has a rocktron, I'm not sure what model, and it sounds pretty good. I've heard the Carvin stuff sounds a lot better with the Axe FX than with any M4/RM 4

Two Notes Torpedo for modeled tube power amp sims and convolution cab/speaker/mic sims, and any lightweight solid state power (and/or DI'd etc).

Currently I am using the VHT 50/2/50. Sometimes you get them for reasonable prices. Also had the Peavey 50/50 in the past which sounded really good but is extremely heavy. The Randall RT is a great power amp as well but hard to acquire, at least here in Europe. A nice alternative when a solidstate amp is thinkable is the Hughes & Kettner CF200 which is not only good-sounding but also just 1 unit high and fan-less.

Rivera TBR 5 and still loving it.

13B1823C-8AFE-46AC-8285-F5807FF9EF5A_zps57iqre5q.jpg

I had a VHT 2:90:2 with my M4 for a while. Wish I still had it. To date that was my favorite incarnation of my M4 rig.

Back