[SOLVED] Rebel 20 volume drop?

shredhead666

Is this symptomatic of bad tubes, or...? I tried pulling both EL84s (running on 6V6), same thing; then I tried pulling both 6V6s (running on EL84s) and same thing.

Are they just all dying at the same time, or...? This is strange. Anyone else see this before?

I have had other amps where, if the jack in the loop goes bad or gets dirty, it starts to cut out the signal. Once you check the loop by bypassing it, if that doesn't work, check the preamp tubes. I hope its just a dirty jack in the loop or a bad preamp tube (no biggie) good luck.

Solved.

I tried running on each pair of tubes, tried dancing around v2 & v3, tried plugging directly into the effects return, tried different speaker cable, different instrument cable... then finally moved the amp to a different wall socket. VOILA.

Here's what was going on - the wall socket the amp was originally plugged into was connected to a light switch (I guess so you could plug in a standing lamp). The light switch had a dimmer installed and the dimmer was turned all the way down. Putting the dimmer back up (or using a different AC outlet) works.

It even dimmed the blue power LED on the front of the amp strangely enough.

Useful information::::
On the subject of dimmers.....many years ago, our band rehearsed in the basement of a home. For a very long time, we would have random/intermittent hum and buzz problems with the guitar amps that we could not figure out. It would come and go with no pattern. Would be fine for days or weeks and then unbearable for one day...two days.....who knows. After literally years of wrestling with this, I discovered there was a dimmer in an upstairs room that, if it were set anywhere other than full off or full on, would make the gear in the basement buzz!! Since that discovery 30 years ago, I have told countless people with buzz problems about this and, in many instances, they found a dimmer causing the same problem at their place. Of course, for a number of potential reasons, the guitars are most succeptible to it. Can happen at home, a friends house or even at a gig where there may be a dimmer in the building. It is nearly impossible to filter it out with any of the "line filter" gadgets. The only way to stop it is to find the dimmer and turn it off or on. I have even had customers bring amps in for buzz/noise problems only to discover it was being caused by a dimmer in their home.

Ha! That's too awesome Bruce!

In this case I didn't really notice any buzz/hum, but I'll be sure to look out for something like this in the future.

Back