Something Amazing happened last night!!!

BlinkTwice

So I'm sitting around last night doing absolutely nothing at all and I get a phone call from a close friend of mine that manages one of the bigger bars in my city. He tells me he is having a big show last night and a bunch of his security were no shows and asks if I can get some of my guys to work (I manage a bar down the street from his bar). I say no problem and ask him whos playing, and he says "some band call Airbourne." :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock:

I was like fuck dude I'll work security for you just put me in front of the stage! So I worked, they put on an amazing show, played great, everything went well and there were no problems at all.

I couldn't believe how loud the band actually was, each guitarist (2) played through 3 full stacks of dimed jcm 800s. So thats 6 full stacks in a club that holds 500 people :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: By the end of the night my ears were bleeding.

So at the end of the night a bunch of the staff and I are hanging out having a few drinks waiting for the roadies to start packing up their gear when Joel O'Keeffe's guitar tech comes back into the bar and starts packing up guitars and other shit on stage so I figured I'd take the opportunity to get a closer view of his rig, even though it was fairly simple; Gibson Explorer > 3 Full stacks of JCM 800s, either way I just wanted to get a closer look.

I ended up talking to the tech for a good 20 minutes when all of a sudden he asks me if I want to give the amps a try :shocked: :shocked: :shocked: :shocked: :shocked:

Fast forward 5 minutes and I'm inside this club playing Joel O'Keeffe's explorer through his amps when all of a sudden all I hear is someone screaming "bloody hell who the fuck is playing with my shit!" I was thinking holy fuck this dude is gonna be super pissed and I turn around and theres Joel O'Keeffe laughing his head off!!! Turns out he was a super cool guy!

Ended up drinking with the band for the next 3 hours, I'm still hung over right now :aww: I know some of you guys get to hang out with "celebrities" often so this would be no be deal to you but its pretty rare to see someone famous where I live, let alone hangout with them so it was a really cool night for me :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

Still drunk/hungover, have to cut this short

:rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock:

img0310y.jpg

Wow! That is totally awesome! Sounds like a blast.
So.....how did the rig sound? (Besides loud)

D-Rock":1yjvuhiz said:
Wow! That is totally awesome! Sounds like a blast.
So.....how did the rig sound? (Besides loud)

It sounded great all of his cabs had vintage 30's and greenbacks in an X pattern and the 800s were were amazing (as always) but to be honest it was too loud for such a small venue, my ears still hurt today :LOL: :LOL:

That's a great story! I have both of Airbourne's albums and they rock! The first is the best IMO.

Cool story! Always interesting to read post like this. My band covers "Too Young too fast too soon" or something like that from Airbourne. Cool tune!!! To me, they'rekind of a modern AC/DC.

Next week, it's my turn, I'll be hanging out with Tymon from Cynic. The guy is friend of mine. :rock:

Although this was posted 3 years ago, I wondered if you took note of the colour/finish on Joel's white explorer? I'm interested in buying one as similar to his as possible, but the closest to it I can find is in the colour 'Classic White', however when I compare the classic white to Joel's white they look quite a lot different. Joel's seems to be much purer white whereas the classic white is a kind of dirty and worn white. Any help is appreciated!

Attachments

• explorer.jpg
    explorer.jpg
    132.9 KB · Views: 2,774
  • Joel.jpg
    Joel.jpg
    158.3 KB · Views: 2,723
  • joel 3.jpg
    joel 3.jpg
    75.8 KB · Views: 2,965
  • joel 2.jpg
    joel 2.jpg
    399.3 KB · Views: 3,515
If I remember correctly from interviewing him a while ago, he's had that Explorer since he was 15 or something, so there's plenty of aging, fading and road abuse going on in that thing! I'll be sure to ask him for more details next time I interview him.

Back