Speaker choice

Ryan990

Wanted some opinions. I've got an empty 4x12 and I wanted to try something besides V30s. This might be an off the wall combo but any idea of how 2 redbacks and 2 alnicio creams would sound mixed together?

I would expect that to be a pretty dark and smooth sounding speaker mix. I love Redbacks (the one non-vintage speaker that’s had a place for me), but I generally like them mixed with brighter speakers to provide some cut, the best being JBL’s IME, but golds and 20w greenbacks works decently well too and would predict v30’s could be good too with them

Recommending gear is a bit of a fools errand..
You already have something in mind, so you should just scratch that itch. and find out for yourself.
I to have tried this and that but have come to the conclusion that with a lot of things, less is more..

You already have v30s so might as well have a 4x12 with greenbacks. I find industry standards tend to be that way for a reason.

Reactions: rsm
Alnico creams remind me of a refined version of the V30 without the upper mid spike.
The Redbacks are definitely a dark speaker, but should pair nicely with the alnicos.

Last edited:
I would expect that to be a pretty dark and smooth sounding speaker mix. I love Redbacks (the one non-vintage speaker that’s had a place for me), but I generally like them mixed with brighter speakers to provide some cut, the best being JBL’s IME, but golds and 20w greenbacks works decently well too and would predict v30’s could be good too with them

I hate dark and avoided Redbacks for the longest time because it thought they’d be too dark from all the comparison clips I watched.

turns out 4 Rebacks is my favorite! I like it even more than 2 mixed with v30s or H75s. Definitely not too dark. My v30/H75 cab was my prior favorite…it is a little brighter but doesn’t have the girth and punch of 4 redbacks. I do keep a cab with v30/redbacks just for different flavor, but I don’t play as much. I do like playing my redback cab together with my Fryette Fane F70 cab, so I’d imagine those Fanes would mix well with Redbacks in a single cab.

Rick from Wizard recommended Redback/Cream 90 mix…. Never tried that when I had the 90s as I thought it would be too dark/smooth.

I hate dark and avoided Redbacks for the longest time because it thought they’d be too dark from all the comparison clips I watched.

turns out 4 Rebacks is my favorite! I like it even more than 2 mixed with v30s or H75s. Definitely not too dark. My v30/H75 cab was my prior favorite…it is a little brighter but doesn’t have the girth and punch of 4 redbacks. I do keep a cab with v30/redbacks just for different flavor, but I don’t play as much. I do like playing my redback cab together with my Fryette Fane F70 cab, so I’d imagine those Fanes would mix well with Redbacks in a single cab.

Rick from Wizard recommended Redback/Cream 90 mix…. Never tried that when I had the 90s as I thought it would be too dark/smooth.
Agreed. I also avoided them for years for the exact same reason, but love them too now. They are dark, but have this addictive, unique midrange chewy quality that I think helps them be more present. I have them now with JBL E120’s on bottom in my 412 and it’s brutal. They’re the only non-vintage speakers worthwhile for me

I have two cabs with v30's....I want one with 75's. The mixing of 30's and 75's was all the rage for a long time and then it fizzled out.

Mixing speakers is OVERRATED.
Yep, and I would like to know which speaker the player chooses to have mic-ed up live on stage when you only get one microphone to use for the FOH.
Either you get the overly bassy dull one or the overly bright one, you can't have both that you are hearing standing in front of the 4X12 mixed together.

Last edited:
Yep, and I would like to which speaker the player chooses to have mic-ed up live on stage when you only get one microphone to use.
The bassy dull one or the overly bright one, you can't have both that you are hearing standing in front of the 4X12.
Yeah, in the days when WGS Speaker first came out, it was affordable to try all of this and mixing in an X Pattern was the rage.

You thought the cab had this 3D depth, but really you're mostly hearing the more efficient and louder speaker dominate over the other.
Then when you Mic the Cab with 1 Mic, it sounds nothing like you hear in the room.

You have your Amp dialed with settings different than you would with 1 Speaker type only, so when you Mic it, it really sounds like shit.

Wanted some opinions. I've got an empty 4x12 and I wanted to try something besides V30s. This might be an off the wall combo but any idea of how 2 redbacks and 2 alnicio creams would sound mixed together?
I happened to have this combination a few years ago. Nice, very interesting sound. But alnico cream sounded a bit "sandy" with a higain amplifier. Redback + G12EVH is significantly better, or at least I like it more. Otherwise, Redback doesn't sound dark, it is just so that it does not sound shrill.

What amp are you using and what tones are you shooting for

I happened to have this combination a few years ago. Nice, very interesting sound. But alnico cream sounded a bit "sandy" with a higain amplifier. Redback + G12EVH is significantly better, or at least I like it more. Otherwise, Redback doesn't sound dark, it is just so that it does not sound shrill.
Agreed on Alnico creams being that way. I also tried the Redback/20w GB combo. It was quite good. I though would very much classify the redback as a dark speaker since it seems to have not so much presence in the upper mids and more in the lower mids. Pretty much what a dark sound is imo, but I love them. Definitely the opposite of shrill and much easier to record close mic’d IME from that

Back