Splawn Quick Rod vs. Orange Rockerverb?

FuelGTRX

I'm starting to think my Splawn Quick Rod is not for me. It's a bit too bright and way more gain than I will ever need. I've tried playing around with the setting alot and I can't seem to get a thick enough tone without getting to much gain. 1st gear does't have enough low end for me and 2nd gear has too much gain.

So I started looking at my options. I'm wanting a vintage high gain Marshall tone with a decent clean channel. I also want an fx loop, but I can live without one. So I thought maybe an Orange Rockerverb can fit the bill. I played a buddy of mine's Orange AD30 2x12 and I really liked the sound he got out of it.

So who has played a Splawn Quick Rod and an Orange Rockerverb? How do you think they compare to each other?

I have played both. I love both. I own a quickrod. I think the rockerverb 100 is awesome...but you better like that tone. Cuz it is pretty straight forward. I thought it got great hard rock/metal tones. The thinkg that makes the Orange seem darker is the cabs. They are deep as hell and make it seem less present.
I actually prefered the Rockerverb through a Marshall 1960a. to give more of a rock presence. You cound try a darker cab for the splawn, maybe that would help?

But both amps are great. Probably my favorite 2 right now, except for the Fuchs OD50 supreme.

I've played the Rockerverb but not the Quick Rod, though based one the clips and your description concerning the brightness, the Rockerverb is a VERY dark amp in comparison. It also has a fantastic clean channel and reverb. I think it does the vintage hi-gain Marshall thing well, but has its own voice as well. The best way I can describe it is "greasy". It does have a lot of gain on tap.

Well, the tone I'm shooting for is sort of like a mix of Jerry Cantrell's tone on Boggy Depot and Stone Gossard's tone on Pearl Jam's 'Ten' album.

The Splawn can sort of do these tones, but it's a bit too bright and not thick enough. I keep the treble and presence all the way down and it still seems like too much. It's sort of like the Splawn is too aggressive.

My buddy just became an Orange dealer. He picked up a Rockerverb 50 combo. To put it simply, it's a great sounding amp. I don't like it with the stock V30 speakers, but I plugged it into my Fuchs 2x12 with Patriot Red Coats and it came to life.
It has an amazing clean and gain channel.
It's a lot darker than the Splawn and has just as much gain if you need it.
I want to get one, but the Orange still has that UGLY factor that I can't get past...LOL
If I buy one, I will be ordering some black tolex... :D
Both are kick ass amps, but are different. The orange has a lot more gain than I thought it would, and I love the dark factor to the 6V6 tone.
Steve

>|<>QBB<
FuelGTRX":9b283 said:
Well, the tone I'm shooting for is sort of like a mix of Jerry Cantrell's tone on Boggy Depot and Stone Gossard's tone on Pearl Jam's 'Ten' album.

The Splawn can sort of do these tones, but it's a bit too bright and not thick enough. I keep the treble and presence all the way down and it still seems like too much. It's sort of like the Splawn is too aggressive.

Try slapping in some KT77's. It made a night and day difference with my QR. The mids tamed down, the highs got smoother and the bass got tighter and thicker.
Steve

I don't know why everyone finds Qrs to be bright. Mine is not that bright and I'm always looking for even more brightness even. Maybe it's the pickups I use...

I guess I really need to try out the KT-77's. I've had a quad of JJ KT-77's for the past month, I just never got around to putting them in. I was afraid they would make the amp too modern sounding. I think I'll give them a try tomorrow.

>|<>QBB<
AmpliFIRE":bb71d said:
>|<>QBB<

I dunno bro...I think my Rockerverb sounded 10x better then any Shiva that I've tried.

I liked the Rockerverb better than the Shiva as well. More balls and gain. The Shiva ain't bad though.

But to the original poster, yes i think the Rockerverb is what you're describing. The Rockerverb will give you nice low end umph without having to use a lot of saturation.

Back