Splawn Quick Rod.......WOW!

Kaleiwahea

Had chance to play a bunch of amps last nite:
TSL modded by Trace at Voodoo (sounds KILLER)
Fuchs Frost Custom 50
Fuchs Train 45 (I think)

and the Quick Rod. Holy Bat, Shitman!!
I hope this thing was stock, coz If so I just found my new amp!

Better than good clean channel, but who ever plays clean?
1st gear = a little brite with my H30's, but nice with 75's
2nd gear = My fave
3rd gear = over the top, but still awesome.

Totally useful solo boost, and teh tone was just about teh best I've ever heard. Felt great, as well.

Splawn, nice. :thumbsup:

Do you know what year? Scott said the new amps have more gain and saturation. As someone who has a 09 Competition I say buy that fucker.

Mark,
I have been singing the praises of the Splawn Quick Rod for years and so many people have piped in saying they have weird mids or you can't play leads on them and I just scratch my head. That a monster lead player like you digs the Quick Rod lends a little validation to my argument and helps to show that I am not just pimping these things.

And yes, the new Quick Rod is voiced slightly differently. It is a bit darker voiced and has more saturation available. You can still get the same tones as the earlier Quick Rods, but that extra bit of saturation is going to be welcomed by many.

I had a 2008 that I really dug, but I sold that to get the 2011. I can still get it to sound just like my old one, but I really think it does sound better. The slightly warmer voicing helps on Gear 1 which is my favorite.

I have an old 3 pre QR that just slays! Been my #1 amp for about 6yrs now :yes:

I still can't understand why people bash them :confused: I mean, great quality, great customer service, great price and of course great tones. What's not to like??

Chubtone":1ppjalvt said:
Mark,
I have been singing the praises of the Splawn Quick Rod for years and so many people have piped in saying they have weird mids or you can't play leads on them and I just scratch my head. That a monster lead player like you digs the Quick Rod lends a little validation to my argument and helps to show that I am not just pimping these things.

I didnt have a problem with mids or leads, but the ice pick to the forehead voicing/attitude and their picky-ness with speakers are two of my reasons.

Great amplifiers but just because i dont preach them does not make me any more or less a player - not my amp or my taste. The guy is great and his shop is less than an hours drive from where i live, still hold the same opinion as always though. I have played three QR's and even the older ones that were QRII's or QRIII's when he first started. Just never liked the voicing or the amplifier.

I can guarantee that I would not dig any amp that has an inherent ice pick to the forehead type tone. My name is Chub Tone for a reason. :LOL: :LOL:

Then you would have hated the ones i have played as well. Hell maybe i just have a knack for picking out the duds :LOL: :LOL:

I never got the weird mids ordeal. Mids seemed fine by me. Just two things i immediately noticed about QR's is that they are some of the loudest damn amplifiers i have ever came across - even louder than SLO's, and B: that sharp treble attitude and their inability to sound great with a wide variety of speakers. I tried everything to like them and its a nogo :doh:

I just got an older one in a trade and couldn't agree more! :rock:

I don't get the weird mids thing either. They're pronounced, but I think that's a good thing.
I'm running it through a 4x12 w/ Scumback M75's and it kills. Although I should try the Splawn SB's someday too.
Nothing ice picky about it IMO. I run it in Gear 1 with the gain up around 3:00. Sweet chewy nasty goodness!

Had it's unveiling at a gig on Saturday. On Friday this week my band gigs with 2 QR's on stage. The other guitarist bought fusionbear's (Chubtone's old one). Gonna be fun!

I was running the gain around 10 o clock and it was PLENTY. I was way surprised. You could not dial out the "hair/fizz" on teh top end even with the mids, treble, and pres on 0 but I love that! I wouldn't call it ice picky, but it is a bright amp. Don't know how old/new it was but I can tell you it was black and silver.... mite not mean anything.

Man, did it bark... sounded and felt super loud (like power tube and transformer involvement) at low volume. I sure hope they are all like that one!

For some reason Splawn amps do not get much love on RT.....Scott Splawn is one of the best guys i have ever dealt with in the business.....All of his amps sound great.....And his prices and quality (IMO) are better than anyone's in the business.... :thumbsup:

rlord1974":rgykc3pw said:
Kaleiwahea":rgykc3pw said:
I wouldn't call it ice picky, but it is a bright amp.

In reality though, are they any brighter than say, a JCM 800 2203/2204? :confused:

I don't find mine to be a particularly bright amp (maybe it's broken! :LOL: :LOL: ).
Certainly not like a JCM800. IME, that's an amp that needs to have the lows dimed for any thump.
Plenty of low end punch on the QR. I would categorize the amp as "present" more than anything else.
Of course YMMV.

I'm interested in hearing more about the TSL that was modded by Voodoo. I have one that is sitting in my spare bedroom that I have thought about having Trace work his magic on. What were your thoughts on that one?

Here on RT and HC are where I heard about the weird mids thing. I never understood it either. I have been owning and playing Splawns for years. My favorite hot rodded Marshall tone for sure.
I was just cracking on what I've heard others say, sarcasm intended.

Still have my Splawn modded 1959 SLP with mercury mags iron and KT88's and a 2005 QR with the gears and it is monstrous sounding.

Had a 1st gen 2 input QR that I traded :doh: and a pro mod that I sold.
All ass kicking amps......

I stay in 2nd gear all the time. And I was actually surprised to see how un-bright the amp was. It's actually kinda dark to me...and thick. I love it, and get compliments from other players and sound guys all the time.

And yea, it has these weird mids that always let you be present in the mix...it's a pain in the butt. ;)

Yeah i have a 2011 and I love it. Not that it needs a boost but gear 1,OD2, GAIN 3:00 with a suhr koko boost is sonic nirvana

Back