Stacking a stack?

rsm

Anyone stack 2 heads on a full stack? Any concerns with it tipping over, etc.? Will be very top heavy...

Thanks!

I wouldn't do that unless you're going Yngwie style with like three or four full stacks side by side so everything reinforces everything else, with the instrument cables plugged into something that has no chance of moving, like a rack or heavy pedalboard.

Otherwise, side-by-side 4x12s is the way to go.

100% agree side by side. Easier to swap configs, more stable, and each cab sounds better on the ground imo. I'm not too big on a 4x12 blasting at my face in a stacked config.

I would never risk that, and as others mention, the top cab on a full stack sounds a bit unpleasant anyway. Apparently what we like to hear is a lot of reflection off the ground, but when the speakers are up that high, it doesn't happen for those and sounds very harsh.

Reactions: rsm
I actually hate what happens to the tone of the top cab after it no longer touches the floor . Something really bad happens to my ears
I asked this some time ago and have been able to try it out for some time now. Side by side sounds better to me. I guess sonically, it’s a thing. From a danger standpoint and toppling over… idk.

I actually hate what happens to the tone of the top cab after it no longer touches the floor . Something really bad happens to my ears
I agree, but what about 4 cabinets? Two on the floor, two more on top of those two. I'd think all that coupling would smooth out the top cabs much more than just a single top cab by itself.

I agree, but what about 4 cabinets? Two on the floor, two more on top of those two. I'd think all that coupling would smooth out the top cabs much more than just a single top cab by itself.
I definitely see what you mean . It’s worth a shot .. but that hollow sound of a cab on top really fucks my ears up . But it’s definitely worth a try

thanks, glad I asked! It was definitely top heavy and didn't look safe, I could imagine the whole stack falling over. I only tried it for a few minutes then decided to ask here.

I found a place for the second head off to the side, just need longer speaker cables. I'll stay with one head (JVM410H) on top of the full stack which is how I've had it the last few days.

Should be fine - I think, :unsure:

edit: also, no room for the cabs side by side. The stack just about fits in the space between my Hammond A102 and Leslie 142, without blocking the Leslie

thanks, glad I asked! It was definitely top heavy and didn't look safe, I could imagine the whole stack falling over. I only tried it for a few minutes then decided to ask here.

I found a place for the second head off to the side, just need longer speaker cables. I'll stay with one head (JVM410H) on top of the full stack which is how I've had it the last few days.

Should be fine - I think, :unsure:

edit: also, no room for the cabs side by side. The stack just about fits in the space between my Hammond A102 and Leslie 142, without blocking the Leslie
Lol First Leslie World Problems

I used to run two full stacks, one head each side of the stage. It was an absurd setup, and there were a few stages where the stage would flex because we jumped around too much, and I would get worried one of the fucking towers was gonna crash down on me. You'd see them sort of sway in and out for a sec haha.

The real solution is to get a third cab. That is the ideal setup. Stack two cabs with no heads, and put both heads on the other cab next to it. This is the perfect amount of amps and cabs, and I've seen it used a lot by Stoner/Doom bands.

Bonus points if they are all straight cabs.

Never. Too top heavy and too far to fall.
Buy two more cabs. Problem solved.
WTF? You've been here long enough to know that the acquiring of more gear is far more important than risking damage to your current gear.
I am alerting the mods so we can have you evaluated.
Please report to the off-topic section.
Try not to clench as the various probes are inserted.

• Haha
Back