String gauge Question

raz311

Hey all.

What gauge strings do you use for tuning down a whole step (and also dropped tuning at that pitch) to keep the tension nice and tight? The guitar I will be setting up for it will be 25.5" scale.

Cheers

11-52 for D standard & Drop C. Sometimes when tuning to drop C i'll substitute a 54 in place of the 52.

I used 11's when we played some mid era sabbath stuff in that tuning. Sounded great through the amp. I couldn't really imagine anything less that wouldn't compromise the tuning stability.

At that scale length, you really aren't going very low. You can get away with 10-46 if you want - just depends on the feel you prefer. If you already have a guitar with that gauge, give it a try and see what you think to start, and go from there.

Feel/Sound, Feel/Sound

I used to put a lot of stock into this and there is a thread on SS.org with pages and pages of scientific info. Some of which may be true but at the end of the day, there is no right or wrong IMO. (Unless you buy Zachary strings of course :) )

The answer to your question is what tension do YOU like? And go from there. You can plug in your current setup into a tension calculator and get the exact gauges you need for the new tuning to keep the same tension but then you have to factor in the sound and find a medium that feels and sounds best to you.

Fwiw I am actually getting a package in the mail today with some sets of D'Addario 115. They range from 11-49 and I tune to Drop C on a 25.5" scale.

Experimenting with my new guitar. I had D'Addario Ej21 at first (12-52) because I like a wound 3rd. They felt really big at first but I got used to them. However, I am stepping it down slightly for a bit looser tension.

https://www.amazon.com/DAddario-EXL115- ... exl115+set

https://www.amazon.com/DAddario-EJ21-Ni ... B0002H05BA

every factory created string pack has tensions that are wildly different; ie high tension on A string with floppy on the low E

The question for me is not what pack, but what tension do I like?
I usually try to get it around 16-18lbs.

Scale and tuning need to be considered.

I use this site for calculating:
http://stringtensionpro.com/SelectInstruments

On a 25.5 scale axe in standard D dropC tuning I have been going with a StringJoy custom set
  • D 10.5 14.20
    A 14 14.16
    F 18 14.75
    C 26 14.59
    G 36 15.11
    C 54 14.88

That's actually 14-15lbs but works well with the floyd.
I could probably push it up another notch

xzacx":1a6wn56s said:
At that scale length, you really aren't going very low. You can get away with 10-46 if you want - just depends on the feel you prefer. If you already have a guitar with that gauge, give it a try and see what you think to start, and go from there.

That's what's on there at the moment. Tonewise it sounds find, I just don't like the loss of tension in the strings. I ordered some 11-52 Slinky's and some 12-56 (I think lol). I'll try them out when they come in.

Thanks for the feedback all!!!

I have a guitar with 25.5" scale and Drop C tuning. I started with 11-54 (Curt Mangan) and now have D'Addarios 11-56 on it. I preferred the thinner strings for their sound, but the 54 low C was still too floppy to me.

raz311":2d4y3cxz said:
xzacx":2d4y3cxz said:

That's what's on there at the moment. Tonewise it sounds find, I just don't like the loss of tension in the strings. I ordered some 11-52 Slinky's and some 12-56 (I think lol). I'll try them out when they come in.

Thanks for the feedback all!!!

Let us know what you think. I'm curious because for me the bigger strings were not comfortable so I was willing to have less tension to keep the feel good for me.

Back