Stupid mistakes episode #3995

ClintN667

I have a 2204 build that for some reason has no sound, low voltage, and rocker switch doesn't turn on.

Anyway I redid the IEC and fuse holders and finally had 122v coming into the amp. The rocker switch isn't lighting up so I turned it off and left it until the next morning. The next morning I was tracing the wires off the PT to the rocker switch but it was still plugged in. So needless to say I got a nice jolt that I felt run up my arm through my chest to my left arm.

I've done some dumb stuff here and there and have got quick shocks but this one had me quit messing with the amp for the rest of the day. Thankfully it was AC and didn't have that much hit me. I got a tiny burn on my finger with a small blister.

Today I'm tempted to just pull the board out and rewire everything. I've done this particular build several times and have had little issues but they have always powered up and most of the time my voltages were pretty good or at least good enough that I could figure out any issues. I'm using a different PT from Hammond than the ones I usually use and I feel like I screwed something up.

I just replaced the power switch on my '80 JMP because it would not light up. I just know I'd leave that amp on overnight or more at some point.

Regarding the jolt...about all I can say is to just slow down and take your time. I say it often but I'll repeat it...build it to BUILD it, not HAVE it. That is, try to enjoy the build rather than rushing to play your new amp. Like that old quote about enjoying the journey rather than focusing on the destination. I'm as guilty as anybody for not following that advice.

Just reworked my amp last night and have hammonds in mine. Let me know if you need pics. Burned the fuck out of my left hand multiple times

Yeah I was working on it while tired on a Friday then didn't pay attention on Saturday. That was a painful lesson to learn. This is about the 3 or 4th time I've done this specific build and for some reason it's one of the first ones with the issues I've had.

I am kinda cramped in my room so I sold this locally for parts. I have a 2204 on order from Ceriatone at any rate. I think I may just get a plexi kit from Nik next once I get my workstation clean and organized.

As long as you have a very hot soldering iron and lots of solder... you should be good to go. LOL. nevertheless, as I've grown older, the best advice is from SpiderWars. Slow down, plan a couple of days or weeks and do it slow. Enjoy the process.

Back