Suggestions on Dimarzios for Alder Super Strat ?

I suggested one once for hair metal and 80's stuff in a similar guitar and was roasted hard....lol...

Hey, bro. The EVO 2 is brilliant for 80's metal! The Suhr Aldrich has been in my Kramer for years because it's amazing, but so is the EVO 2. I need to get another one.

Very curious about the Evo2. I found the original Evo too bright.

The EVO 2 gets rid of that spike at 5K that the original Evolution bridge model has. The EVO 2 still has plenty of high end but never shrill. DiMarzio says this pickup sounds more complex and it's true. That thing can do it all and do it very well. It's tweaked with DiMarzio's Virtual Vintage technology. One of my all time favorite humbuckers. I highly recommend it.

Thing is, I'm in Europe, and here that exchange thingy doesn't apply.

But for now I'm good... well, maybe a mix between the Norton and Super D with more low-end, but good kerrang and sweet highs would be a nice to have for that Charvel.

I liked the EVO in the Ibanez I just sold. I didn't hear this brightness everyone speaks of. Huge improvement over the farty-assed Tone Zone. That pickup sucks ass in a warm guitar.

Professional lurker here.

Until I removed both knobs and went to straight volume pot only and replaced the tremolo block did I find that I wasted so much time and money on pick ups, not realizing that my strat block and tone pots were actually killing the tone of any pick up that I put in there.

You probably won’t need to change the tremolo block since MM’s should be pretty good.
I’d honestly recommend removing the tone pot and see what the results are. You’d be surprised like I was.

mojotone pickups are amazing. I got the hellbender set. very good, all other pickups sound like a blanket is over them( sd, gibson,lace). tight low end. Nice mids( balanced) with crispy high end. But whats really amazing is the neck pickup that came with the set. It was with alnico 2 so when i tried it in the bridge it was just too weak. So i put a alnico 5 from a duncan jb in and wow. Like the perfect jb, tight like a distortion but with the feel of alnico's and airy highs.

Professional lurker here.

Until I removed both knobs and went to straight volume pot only and replaced the tremolo block did I find that I wasted so much time and money on pick ups, not realizing that my strat block and tone pots were actually killing the tone of any pick up that I put in there.

You probably won’t need to change the tremolo block since MM’s should be pretty good.
I’d honestly recommend removing the tone pot and see what the results are. You’d be surprised like I was.

This is good stuff to try.

Some else is that instead of removing the tone pot altogether though, you could try making it a no-load pot to completely remove it from the circuit when it's on 10. Youtube has the videos for that.

Also, make sure your pots are good. Due to manufacturing tolerances, lots of pots labeled 500k can be as low as like 460k, which will cut out more of your highs.

Back