T4335 vs T4335b?

The wattage is the same. It's safe to assume it's the same as any other Mesa V30 at 70w. Don't know what the b stands for.

SpiderWars":1i1oafhi said:
The wattage is the same. It's safe to assume it's the same as any other Mesa V30 at 70w. Don't know what the b stands for.

I was wondering cuz the older Mesa 4x12's were 280w, while the newer ones are 240w. Since both these are 8 ohm mesas, thought maybe the b was the newer ones. I have an older late 90's t4335

I have two Mesa 4x12 Recto cabs. One is loaded with T4335 and the other with T4335b. They both sound the same and both cabs say 280w. I have wondered what the b stands for though.

Not sure the reason for B which I was told happened in early 2006 but adding a comment on the wattage "change".

There was a period in the 90's iirc that the t4335 recto had bumped handling on mesa back plates and then reverted. Same driver, different plate sticker. A guess would be they tested the recto and found more forgiveness in the VC for the cab and got bold with the watt rating until someone pounded it with 2 slaved coli's in stereo mode.

And although it's late and butter cream cookies are on my head I want to say the open V30's in my mesa cabs (RA, ED, 3/4) are rated slightly different accounting for the lack of mechanical dampening of the closed back cab.

Paging @Nolly

Nolly should be able to shed some light on this. He’s the muthafkn V30 masta! Got his technique down and everything! < /samuel l. Voice impersonation

Seriously.

I found his interview video last night when trying to find a reason for the B. I went deep into the driver rabbit hole but Nolly went deep into a V30 black hole. The gain structure, and therefore the "sweet spot" he refers to isn't exactly relevant to me but I love detailed accounts of things and I know now to pay attention to the cone date regardless of speaker type.

For Nolly, I don't have 80 EV's but maybe 30-40 scattered in cabs and loose. I don't suppose you have nerdy details on those? Of course the 12L's, but 12S, EVI, the famous 10M, SRO, Force, DL, etc. Hard to find good info.
Given your attention to detail I'd be curious of your Fane thoughts if you explore those. I haven't yet tried those but would like to.

Not sure the reason for B which I was told happened in early 2006 but adding a comment on the wattage "change".

There was a period in the 90's iirc that the t4335 recto had bumped handling on mesa back plates and then reverted. Same driver, different plate sticker. A guess would be they tested the recto and found more forgiveness in the VC for the cab and got bold with the watt rating until someone pounded it with 2 slaved coli's in stereo mode.

And although it's late and butter cream cookies are on my head I want to say the open V30's in my mesa cabs (RA, ED, 3/4) are rated slightly different accounting for the lack of mechanical dampening of the closed back cab.
I believe the Recto cabs came out in '92 and were designated 280w from the get go. Several years later the cabinets were rebadged as 240w and stayed that way until present day. I don't think there's ever been a satisfactory explanation for this, even on the Boogie Board forum.

From my personal observations and research, the cone changed when the "b" designation came around. They just look physically different to me (the newer b cones have a more "woven" look?).

But maybe I'm just crazy.

Do they sound different? Hard to say because any of the older cabs are, well... older? FWIW I prefer the T3897B to the T3897 speakers I've had (the Marshall label G12V) but did prefer the non-B Mesa-spec V30s I've had. 🤷‍♂️ .

I can confirm based on V30s on hand that the T4335 became a T4335B between 1/11/06 and 7/4/06. I can't really A/B them as one is Trad & one is OS, though. ..However I can A/B 2001 vs 2006 in a Trad!

Don't overthink the B on the end of the T-code, it doesn't signify any change in the design. The aspect that does change over time (with all Celestions) are the cones, which are made by Kurt Mueller to a consistent spec but with variable results due to changes in production techniques. There's no "special" version of the V30, just that in certain time periods the cones happened to sound best (in my opinion, from 2000-2003/4).
The 60w vs 70w rating is also correlation not causation, the truth is as @dr teeth has written - Mesa (and Marshall) felt the V30 had higher power handling than Celestion wanted to claim. At some point they reverted to rating them at 60w as per Celestion's spec.

Paging @Nolly

Nolly should be able to shed some light on this. He’s the muthafkn V30 masta! Got his technique down and everything! < /samuel l. Voice impersonation

Thanks for the tag!

Seriously.

I found his interview video last night when trying to find a reason for the B. I went deep into the driver rabbit hole but Nolly went deep into a V30 black hole. The gain structure, and therefore the "sweet spot" he refers to isn't exactly relevant to me but I love detailed accounts of things and I know now to pay attention to the cone date regardless of speaker type.

For Nolly, I don't have 80 EV's but maybe 30-40 scattered in cabs and loose. I don't suppose you have nerdy details on those? Of course the 12L's, but 12S, EVI, the famous 10M, SRO, Force, DL, etc. Hard to find good info.
Given your attention to detail I'd be curious of your Fane thoughts if you explore those. I haven't yet tried those but would like to.

Ah, I appreciate the thought but unfortunately outside of Celestion-land I'm somewhat out of my depth!

I can confirm based on V30s on hand that the T4335 became a T4335B between 1/11/06 and 7/4/06. I can't really A/B them as one is Trad & one is OS, though. ..However I can A/B 2001 vs 2006 in a Trad!

2001s 4 lyf

2001s 4 lyf
True story. I recorded the first 3 songs on my band's new album with the 2006 cab, and there was always something I couldn't quite put my finger on that I wasn't expecting. Going forward with the rest of the album it'll be the 2001 cab all the way, and possibly blended with my 1999 G12T75 cab or my 2002 Greenback cab depending on the song.

True story. I recorded the first 3 songs on my band's new album with the 2006 cab, and there was always something I couldn't quite put my finger on that I wasn't expecting. Going forward with the rest of the album it'll be the 2001 cab all the way, and possibly blended with my 1999 G12T75 cab or my 2002 Greenback cab depending on the song.
I’ve got an ‘06 T4335B and it’s great. That said, I like my ‘03 OS 412 tone more.

I had two 2000 OS Recto 412s side by side. Date codes were a few months apart. They sounded pretty different. One was harsh; super scooped and difficult to deal with. The other was fine and sounded pretty good.

I mentioned that experience to the York Audio guy and he said he had a similar experience.

Dunno if it was a difference in the speakers or the cab or what.

I love the Marshall branded V30s made in UK. I pulled the overseas Celestions out of my cab and put these in and it made a significant difference in how everything sounded. Pulled the one out of the Bogner Cube as well and put one of these in and love it!

I had two 2000 OS Recto 412s side by side. Date codes were a few months apart. They sounded pretty different. One was harsh; super scooped and difficult to deal with. The other was fine and sounded pretty good.

I mentioned that experience to the York Audio guy and he said he had a similar experience.

Dunno if it was a difference in the speakers or the cab or what.
Broken in vs not most likely.

Back