talk to me about bogner helios and helios eclipse

fuzzyguitars

always wanted to try.

how many are still rocking these amps. if not, why did you ditch it?

is the eclipse that different from the regular helios?

how different from all the other modded marshals out there.

thanks!

Reactions: rsm
Great amps. I sold mine because I needed money and they transmitted AM Radio on the high input. It was super annoying, but otherwise awesome amps!

Great amps. I sold mine because I needed money and they transmitted AM Radio on the high input. It was super annoying, but otherwise awesome amps!
LOL That's an easy fix. I'm surprised Mr B didn't put a Grid Stopper on V1..
I assume he wanted every bit of bandwidth on the input.

Yup, simple fix with a grid stopper. I think I went with 5K or something like on mine and it completely solved the radio thing.

Otherwise, good amps! Bogner's take on the JCM800 Jose mod. Sounds good. Typical Bogner chewiness but with more of that Marshall bark.

Had an original Helios, traded it for a Friedman Smallbox, which I still have and love. The Helios has more gain and I did like the tone but IMO the SB captures the 'Marshall' vibe and takes pedals better. IMO the Helios is either too saturated and gainy or not aggressive enough. The higher gain voicing is pretty noisy too. Good amp, I like the Friedman more.

Man I wonder if there's like a simple fix for that?
It wasn't that big of an issue, just a bit more than what I would consider 'normal'. Again, mine was the original--another problem was the lack of footswitchable tone flexibility, which I believe they have addressed. For someone who doesn't want any dirt in front the Helios is a pretty badass amp. Neither of my Friedmans have as much gain as the Helios.

I bought my Helios(100w) back in January.
It is the modded Marshall I’ve always wanted.
Used it for a gig a few weeks after I got it; it sat perfectly in the band mix. I was fortunate to be able to have the master at about 10:30; it felt and sounded glorious.
If you want a modded SLP, I can’t recommend it highly enough.

I owned the original Helios 100. Cool amp and probably the least "Bogner" of my Bogners. Much more raw and untamed in the frequency response. End of the day, I felt my '96 Ecstasy, when dialed right, could get close enough to what the Helios was doing, so I never kept it.

Had the original 100 and the Eclipse. I preferred the Eclipse for its extra versatility and separate clean channel. 3 modes on the gain channels, so you have plenty of choices as to gain and compression levels. Yes it cant get crazy gain and noise, but you dont have to run it that way. Check out Euge Valovirta's demo.

the Bogner Helios 50 watt is my main amp right now. I run them in the Plexi input only. This is where these amps are amazing. The Hot input is useless to me. I use these amps with two different bands. We play from AC/DC to Zepplin and everything in between. Wish I had these amps in the 80s. I use a Mojo hand Rook as a boost to add a touch of gain when needed and increase my volume for solos.

[URL=https://imageshack.com/i/posijK7Aj][/URL]

Last edited:
Back